spark plug fell out

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• spark plug fell out

I have a 95 lt1 z28. I was driving from work today and all of sudden pow. The car ran like a unbalance washing machine. The number 1 spark plug came out. Upon further inspection, I found out the threads were striped. Has anyone had this problem before? How did you go about fixing it? Thanks for your help.

Yep been there before! You need to take it to a garage to have it helicoiled.. Basically they tap the thread, and screw in a helicoil.. which is a coil of hard metal wire which will be your thread... looks like a spring.. You can do it with the head in place if you can get access? I dont know were cylider 1 is.. Good luck
    Screaming Mad
    Car: 1994 Camaro, 3.4l V6
    Pace Setter headers & Y pipe, Flowmaster Z28 exhaust, K&N cone filter. modded 4l60e, trans cooler, strut brace, Eibach pro-kit
    0-60 7.74
    1/4 16.52 @ 85.3

Bike: Suzuki GSXR K4 600, K&N filter,Rizla kit, R&G bobbins, Db screen, LED indicators

Comment

You can buy a heli-coil kit from NAPA, I think its around $25 or so. If you can get the tap to go into the head straight, you'll be fine. Follow the directions that come with it, it can be done, take your time.
      The Old Guy! '94 z-28, m-6, t-tops, go-fast red, 316k. Now with '96 engine w/ Lt-4 hot cam, roller rockers, heavy duty timing chain, and Spec stage 2 clutch.

Comment

With it being #1, you might have room to repair it without head removal. The problem will be the shavings from cutting new threads. Most can be captured, vacuumed or blown out, though.
        Here is how a metal insert can be done (not identical to a Heli-coil).
        Rob B 95Z A4 Tech Page (Part numbers / locations, how to's, schematics, DTC's...) Home Page - shbox.com

Comment

If you load the tap with grease, it will hold the shavings. If you run it with the plug out, it will blow the light aluminum shavings that may remain out also.
          The Old Guy! '94 z-28, m-6, t-tops, go-fast red, 316k. Now with '96 engine w/ Lt-4 hot cam, roller rockers, heavy duty timing chain, and Spec stage 2 clutch.

Comment

Thanks guys, I'll be going to napa in the morning.

Comment

Working...
            X