Changing coolant...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing coolant...

I need to do this ASAP as my car is about to turn 40,000 miles and is still running with the original coolant. I keep forgetting to do it. Anyway, is there anything special I need to know to do this? I have been changing my own oil and filters and everything, but I have never had to change coolant before. I basically just drain all of the old stuff out, then refill it wil Dex-cool, right? Do I have to mix the Dex-cool with water, or is it pre-mixed? Is there any kind of tests or anything I should get done? Thanks for any input.

2000 Black Camaro w/3800 V6. Hotchkis STB, Whisper Lid, K&N, Flowmaster exhaust.

Dex-Cool is a 50/50 mix, so theres no water needed, but make sure it says 50/50 mix on the bottle! As far as changing it, Im sure someone in the forum can give you a full explanation
    1996 Z-28 6 speed, Airfoil, K&N FIPK, Flowmaster muffler, Motive 3.73 gears, BBK shorty headers, cut-out, LS1 Driveshaft, no power options (Rare), Prothane tranny mount, MSD 8.5mm wires, Accel U-Groove Plugs, Chrome hurst short throw, TB Bypass, ES Torque arm mount, BMR subframe connectors (weld-in), Lt4 Knock Module, Descreened MAF, '02 SS wheels, Pioneer HU, MTX & JL amps, 2 12" JBL's, T-Top Conversion!

Comment

It's a good time to change it out, but it's certainly not a crisis. I'd recomend doing it before 60,000 for sure though. Other guys can give more details, but don't forget to bleed the system once you fill it up. I'm not that familiar with the V6, but there should be some bleeder screws on the system. Just start it up and open the screws until fluid starts to seep out. You may want to check the level after you're done bleeding. Just don't get too carried away and forget after the engine has been running that the system is pressurized.

Check the bottle as to whether or not you need to add water. If you do, use distilled water!
      Joe K.
      '11 BMW 328i
      '10 Matrix S AWD
      Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

okay as in reply to coolant you can buy dex-cool in the straight form from almost anywhere and then mix it with water 1 galon to 1 galon or you can buy it in the already mixed form i think it says pre mix on the front or quick fill its more expensive and less useful thats if your just going to do the name quick fill

im sure a lot of the other guys have a lot of other input but basically just follow your manual in the car and make sure you hit the bleeder valves otherwise the car will overheat
        1997 Camaro Z28 Pacesetter Long tubes, ORY-Pipe, Accel 30# Injectors, MSD Cap & Rotor, MSD Super Conductor Wires, NGK Irdium TR55IV Plugs, and Borla Catback. Madtuner Tune, SLP High/Low fan switch, NGK o2 sensors

New Longblock at 110,947 and everything above.

Comment

I'm a little hurt as I work in a bloody rad shop and you ask here. You might as well get the system flushed out and buy an anti-freeze tester as well.
          They're not scratches, they're character marks

Comment

Josh, you're doing the right thing by changing that dex-cool. I know it's an extended coolant for 7 years. I think. I read in another forum that if you wait to long that coolant will become corrosive and reek havoc on your internal parts. I plan to do mine every 5 years. Hope this helps.

Comment

Working...
            X