anyone have drilled slotted rotors?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone have drilled slotted rotors?

anyone have drilled slotted rotors? how is the performance? can you have them churned?
    1994 firebird formula

Yep I have slotted and drilled rotors..but they have only been on the car a couple of months and only anout 50 miles so I cannot answer your questions about having them turned (surfaced) but the braking does seem much improved. All though I replaced the master cyl, brake lines, pads and rotors all at the same time so I dont know what really helped the most
    1997 Trans AM WS6 vert
    1 of 463
    LT4 knock module
    D. Goetz sub-frame connectors.
    strut tower brace
    SLP fan switch
    160* t/stat
    Drilled and slotted rotors/ Earls SS brake lines/ Hawk pads
    DMS 1.5" progressive lowering springs

Pictures Here

Comment

Yes I have them an they are super will never use stock. They also came painted red to match my car an with the Y2K wheels is all the better. Your car looks almost like mine. If you want e mail me at zlee@bellsouth.net an i can send you pics of them an I can dig up the company that I got them from they are also zink plated so they will not rust so they look good 24/7 I think I paid $280.00 for all 4 shipped to the door. But super happy on how well they work an looks, Blazer

Comment

"Drilled" rotors, even the good ones like Baer, are prone to cracking. The holes serve no usefull purpose - purely cosmetic. Would you want your brakes to look like this after 4,000 miles:

http://www.ws6.com/o.htm

"Churned"???? Do you mean "turned" down in a brake lathe to renew the surface? Yes, drilled and slotted rotors can be resurfaced. They just have to reduce the depth of the cut in each pass.
        Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

I've got Eradispeed Cross drilled, slotted, vented powdercoated rotors.

Haven't had an issue with them, and have about 5k on them so far.

I was "waving" (warping) stock rotors every 10k miles due to "excessive braking." according to the dealer. After 2 turnings and 2 new sets they told me they wouldn't replace anymore under warranty.

Still don't understand why GM didn't think people like me would stand my car on end from 100MPH. If you make the car capable of those speeds, you should expect someone like me to drive the car to it's limits every day.

If you're worried about cracking, then get a set of "dimpled rotors" if you want the crossdrilled look. I figured I'd go with crossdrilled because if I'm going to sacrafice the surface area touching the pads, I'm going to get ones with holes in them that are actually functional.

Also, most people I know of that slap on their rotors don't follow the instructions on bedding them properly. I followed the instructions, so we will see how they hold up. You just aren't supposed to slap on cross drilled rotors and stand the car on end, you have to heat cycle them several times, after the initial installation. Then prior to doing anything radical you need to get them warmed up. Excessive braking on any cold rotors can destroy them. They give you a neat little piece of paper that tells you how to properly warm up your rotors before any event/hard driving.
          =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

2001 TA ~ 2000 TA ~ 95 TA - Sold ~ 87 FB - Buried in New Mexico ~ 86 FB - Sold

Comment

I have dimple drilled and slotted rotors and carbon metallic pads. They have been on for about 35,000 miles or so. I have no problems with cracking between the holes and The rotors are still in great shape, ( I do a lot of highway driving tho) However, I've heard the carbon metallic pads are "Rotor friendly" so far it seems to be that way.
            1997 30th Anniversary Z28. Artic White with Hugger Orange Stripes. T-Tops, K&N Cold Air Intake, Mac Headers & High Flow Cats,Flowmaster Cat Back. Auto W/B&M Shifter Plus. Drilled And Slotted Rotors. Steel Braded Brake Lines. Alpine CD/MP3, JL Audio Stealth Box.

Comment

well for those who have them, how much did you pay for them, and where did you get them from?
              1994 firebird formula

Comment

Mine were an outrageous $575 for just the fronts, but remember, Vented, Slotted, Cross drilled, and Powder coated. They guys at American Racing Technology got them for me.

Comment

It's interesting that the sportbikes use drilled rotors exclusively, probably for the weight savings. They are floating, and maybe that helps the longevity. Never heard of problems with them on bikes, so maybe it's just cars that have a problem. They are built quite a bit differently, and maybe out of different materials, but all have the holes in them.

Comment

Originally posted by Ouija
                    Mine were an outrageous $575 for just the fronts, but remember, Vented, Slotted, Cross drilled, and Powder coated. They guys at American Racing Technology got them for me.
                    Do you have a picture of them? I've never heard of powdercoating a rotor. What color are they?
                    2006 Saturn Ion Redline
                    2003 Mits. Eclipse Spyder

Comment

I have photos of all my mods if you click on my mods link below

Optionally here's a link to the picture directly:
                      http://www.afbforums.com/index.php?&...ge_mod&id=2021

I don't think I have any higher resolution images of them online at the moment.

Comment

Working...
                      X