First race!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First race!!!

Last night my friend with a 88 Camaro Iroc 305 automatic thought he could have a chance at beating me if I gave him 2 1/2 legnths. By the end of the race I beat him by about 7 or 8 car legnths. I was very pleased with my car . I didnt think I would beat him by all that much. Cant wait tell school starts up to start racing the local ricer crowed.
    96 Camaro Z28, T-tops, 6 Speed, Slp CIA, Flowmaster cat-back, 3:42 gears

It is good times racing and winning...we've all done it. Just be careful my friend....these cars are more powerful than you think (8 cyl.) Try and keep it at the track as much as possible. We all get the urge, but you'll soon see that the ricers aren't even worth your gas. Every so often we gotta let loose a bit though.

Drive safe
    black 95 t/a, a4, beefed up tranny w/ higher stall converter, transgo shift kit, trans temp gauge, trans cooler, richmond 3.73's, loudmouth, hypertech programmer, 160 thermo, descreened maf, TB bypass and airfoil, trick flow intake elbow, underdrive pulleys, moroso cai, edelbrock panhard rod, bmr stb, slp sfc's, fiberglass firehawk hood, hawk pads, taylor wires, ngk plugs, royal purple fluids,...and hopefully more to come

Comment

You will stomp older camaro's all day. Give him 5 car lengths, you'll still blow past him. They have NO top end.
      97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

street racing?

not a cool thing to do.

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
        Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
        sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Where In Kansas are you from if you don't mind me asking? I used to live in Wichita.

87 z28 w/93 LT1 and 700r4

Comment

I live in topeka. But me and my friend were very carfull about it, we had a couple buddys make sure nobody came down the road while we did it. And it was in the country. And yea I do agree the track is a much better place to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by 96Camaro
              I live in topeka. But me and my friend were very carfull about it, we had a couple buddys make sure nobody came down the road while we did it. And it was in the country. And yea I do agree the track is a much better place to do it.
              Those country back roads are *the most* dangerous places to race. Please and I repeat, please do not think it is safe just because a friend is watching out. A million things could go wrong, it is too unpredictable. Those roads are narrow and have trees and telephone poles close to the ditch, if there is even any ditch. An animal could jump out in front of you, a car could pull out of a blind driveway, there could be gravel on a stretch, there might be a corner that surprises you... I could go on and on with bad variables that could cost you or somebody else their life. No matter how safe you think you are, it is just an illusion. With great power comes great responsibility.

If you must race and have no track nearby I suggest finding a strait stretch of 4-lane interstate highway that is nice and wide with large shoulders clear of trees or poles. Go out late at night and wait until there are no cars behind you. Make sure you can see really far behind you (no headlights coming) and come to a complete stop side by side. Then, go for it to 100 and shut down.

Just for the love of God stay off those narrow, unpredictable country back roads, or you just might win yourself a Darwin award...or even worse kill someone else and have to live with the consequences.
              Tracy
              2002 C5 M6 Convertible
              1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
              Current Mods:
              SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Originally posted by TraceZ
                Those country back roads are *the most* dangerous places to race. Please and I repeat, please do not think it is safe just because a friend is watching out. A million things could go wrong, it is too unpredictable. Those roads are narrow and have trees and telephone poles close to the ditch, if there is even any ditch. An animal could jump out in front of you, a car could pull out of a blind driveway, there could be gravel on a stretch, there might be a corner that surprises you... I could go on and on with bad variables that could cost you or somebody else their life. No matter how safe you think you are, it is just an illusion. With great power comes great responsibility.

If you must race and have no track nearby I suggest finding a strait stretch of 4-lane interstate highway that is nice and wide with large shoulders clear of trees or poles. Go out late at night and wait until there are no cars behind you. Make sure you can see really far behind you (no headlights coming) and come to a complete stop side by side. Then, go for it to 100 and shut down.

Just for the love of God stay off those narrow, unpredictable country back roads, or you just might win yourself a Darwin award...or even worse kill someone else and have to live with the consequences.

I understand your point. But this wasnt one of those really narrow roads. But thanks for the concern. I'll take your advice next time.

Comment

Give the kid a break. He's young, we've all been there guys. Wolfman just posted not too long ago about some street racing he was doing in the GTO. It's cool everyones concerned for his safety and well being, but the fact that he went out of his way to scout the road says a lot. It's possible that he could be a responsible young driver.
                  97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

Originally posted by raroZ28
                    Give the kid a break. He's young, we've all been there guys. Wolfman just posted not too long ago about some street racing he was doing in the GTO. It's cool everyones concerned for his safety and well being, but the fact that he went out of his way to scout the road says a lot. It's possible that he could be a responsible young driver.
                    I hear you. I wasnt trying to bust his chops, just giving him a little guidance that could prevent a tragedy. I agree that we all need ot cut loose once in a while it is just important to know the right place and time. The key is to give yourself lots of room for error and make sure nobody else is in danger. Too many kids die on those supposedly "safer" country roads when in fact they are the most dangerous places to try and race.

Party on, Wayne!
                    Tracy
                    2002 C5 M6 Convertible
                    1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
                    Current Mods:
                    SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

This topic will always generate disapproval from a majority of the members. What the "old guys" will say is that racing is very cool. Street racing is very dumb. There is too much risk. Racetracks are designed to allow drivers to explore the limits of their machinery with the maximum amount of safety possible. The average Interstate, highway, rural road is not. What will make matters worse is that it was planned race.

Let me tell you a story that I had personal dealings with this past month. A beautiful young couple were raising their new family. She was working two jobs at the mall, a nice young lady that many people knew. Her husband was a hard worker too. They were admired by many for their efforts to raise their two children. One night, their car was cut in half as it plowed sideways into a palm tree. They were street racing on a rural highway and their car hit a dip, and a subsequent bump. It began to rotate sideways and drift off the road. It slammed sideways into a large palm tree which didn't give. The car was literally cut in half as it wrapped around the tree, killing both instantly. The other car did stop briefly, it's occupants were observed yelling and fled the scene. There were a few witnesses but to my knowledge nothing further on the other vehicle. Children who were with sitters that night, will not know of how hard their parents worked to raise them. Well, maybe they will learn. Donations by other merchants in the mall and by personal friends paid most of the funeral costs as their parents were not well off either. Obviously this young couple had made an impact on others, the response by their peers was truely overwhelming.

This is not meant to turn this thread into a member bash, that isn't what it is all about. We want the members to stay safe....... the worst thing we could hear a news article that "a tire blew while street racing, occupants did not survive" and it turns out to be someone we know. Let's agree that racing should never be done on the street, take it to the track. At the track there are no trees to worry about, no unexpected dips in the road, vehicles are inspected for safety, and the chances of this happening to you are dramatically reduced. Not only that, there are more witnesses.

Comment

Originally posted by wolfman
                        street racing?

not a cool thing to do.
                        Not cool huh! So what are you saying about yourself? I remeber several threads recently concerning a certain "GTO" and other "anonymous" cars racing on the street.

96 Camaro, we've all done it, so no worries. Come down here to good ole Texas. We have plenty of backroads here with nothing but fresh pavement and feed corn fields beside you.

They just re-did highway 758 here in New Braunfels that runs past a small Municipal airport. There is a about a 4 mile stretch way past the airport that is perfectly smooth, has absolutely no driveways or cross-streets, no houses and no people ever period, and best of all...no po-po's. That's where we get in on! I have been playing with my ZX-12r out there. Quick 180-??? (I'm too chicken to look down over 180ish still) and then on the brakes hard.

Comment

That's just great there Kev.....

Comment

Working...
                          X