Traction bars???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Traction bars???

I was wanting to know if traction bars are really worth it. I dont know anything hardley at all about them. So any input or info would be appreciated. How hard are they to install, where can I get them, will it effect cornering?
    96 Camaro Z28, T-tops, 6 Speed, Slp CIA, Flowmaster cat-back, 3:42 gears

Traction bars as they were called, were designed to limit axle rotation on leaf spring cars. 3rd and 4th generation f-bodies (82 and later) use a torque arm to limit the axle rotation. there are a couple of ways to increase the traction on torque arm cars. One is a lower control arm relocation bracket that lowers the rear attachment point of the lower control arm, the other is an adjustable torque arm.

Comment

Lakewood actually makes a "Traction Action" bar for the 3rd/4th Gen F-Bodies. Very few people use them, because in effect, they put the entire rear suspension in "bind".... something has to "give", and generally its the Lakewood bars. They tear their own welds apart. But every time this gets posted, someone will post that they have them and they are the greatest thing since sliced bread.

South Side Machine also made traction bars for the 3rd/4th Gens, and they weren't very popular, but the few people that had them were fanatics. SSM has since gone out of business.

Then there's a bar called Pete-Z that a few hard core racers use.

But all you have to do is keep in mind that there are 4th Gens running in the 7's and 8's, pulling low 1.2X 60-fts with "stock style" suspensions. That's all lyou really need - upgraded replacements for the stock components, as Joe has pointed out.
      Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Originally posted by Injuneer
        Lakewood actually makes a "Traction Action" bar for the 3rd/4th Gen F-Bodies. Very few people use them, because in effect, they put the entire rear suspension in "bind".... something has to "give", and generally its the Lakewood bars. They tear their own welds apart. But every time this gets posted, someone will post that they have them and they are the greatest thing since sliced bread.

South Side Machine also made traction bars for the 3rd/4th Gens, and they weren't very popular, but the few people that had them were fanatics. SSM has since gone out of business.

Then there's a bar called Pete-Z that a few hard core racers use.

But all you have to do is keep in mind that there are 4th Gens running in the 7's and 8's, pulling low 1.2X 60-fts with "stock style" suspensions. That's all lyou really need - upgraded replacements for the stock components, as Joe has pointed out.
        I purposely left out the SSM and Lakewood parts...... too many problems with them. I haven't heard of the Pete-Z bar. Care to enlighten?

Comment

I don't know anything at all about the Pete-Z bars. I've seen a couple hard core 4th Gen racers mention they use them. They are mentioned in this article on suspension from National Drageter. Billinglsley might sell them.... I'll check.

http://www.nhra.com/dragster/1999/is...echnology.html
          Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

So you guys are basicly saying dont use them right?
            96 Camaro Z28, T-tops, 6 Speed, Slp CIA, Flowmaster cat-back, 3:42 gears

Comment

Originally posted by 96Camaro
              So you guys are basicly saying dont use them right?

lol. www.bmrfabrication.com

look at their stuff. Get lower control arms, lca relocation brackets, a panhard bar, and a nice torque arm. Maybe some subframe connectors too. Your car will hook very nice. forget traction bars, you don't use them on this car.
              97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

Working...
              X