air pump on 94 LT-1

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• air pump on 94 LT-1

Has anyone ever rebuilt their air pump on an LT-1?? My fuse for mine keeps blowing, and I bet if I took it apart, cleaned it up and lubed it well it would be fine. I know there is a TSB on this problem saying to put in a heavier wire and a 25A fuse... But it didn't do this in the past... what changed??

i believe the TSB only applied to 96 and 97's. if my memory serves me right...........

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
    Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
    sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Recall notice is number 99083.
      1995 Camaro Vin S2100001 to S2229521
      1995 Firebird Vin S2200001 S2256723
      1996 Camaro Vin T2100001 T2166869
      1996 Firebird Vin T2200001 T2232760
      1997 Camaro Vin V2100002 V2160181
      1997 Firebird Vin V2200001 V2232666
      Dealer will replace air pump with new one.(Old unit causes malfunction
      indicator
      light to come on because of corrosion of the internal solenoid).Could this
      explain why air pump fuses are blowing or some other electrical problems like
      low voltage at over extreme electrical use (headlights on, brake lights on,
      whipers on, A/C on, radio-CD player on, all at the same time).
      General Motors has decided to conduct a Voluntary Emission Campaign involving
      all 1995 1996 1997 camaros and firebirds with the 5.7L engines. The Air
      Injection Reactor (A.I.R) pump emmision control system on these vehicles may
      fail to operate and cause the Malfunction Indicator Lamp to illuminate. This
      condition maybe due to corrosion of a solenoid internal to the A.I.R. pump.

Your Chevrolet Dealer will install a
      new A.I.R. pump assembly kit that is designed to protect
      the A.I.R. pump system from failing
      due to internal corrosion. This service will be performed
      FREE OF CHARGE.

Contact your Chevrolet dealer as soon as possible to arrange a date to assure
      parts
      availability. Instructions have been sent to your dealer. Please ask your dealer
      if you wish to know how much time will be needed to schedule, process, and
      repair your vehicle.

Should your dealer be unable to schedule a service date within reasonable time,
      please contact the chevrolet customer assistance center at 1-800-222-1020.

If you have already paid for some or all of the cost to have your A.I.R. pump
      repaired you should contact your dealer to seek reimbursement. Please provide
      the dealer with your original paid receipts or invoices verifying the repair,
      the amount charged, proof of payment, the date of payment of those charges and
      proof of ownership of the vehicle at the time of the repair by October 31,2001.
      Only
      repairs performed prior to the release of this recall(October,2000) are eligible
      for
      reimbursement.

We are sorry to cause you this
      inconvenience however we have taken this action in the
      intrest of your continued satisfaction
      with our product.
      2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

I took mine apart before they replaced it. It wasn't corrosion or rust. The front bearing did not have a seal on it and the electric motor dust got into it which made it stop spinning. The bearing is pressed onto the shaft. The bearing probably cost less than $10 but you need an arbor press to get it off and to put a new one on.
        2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

Comment

mine is a 94... does this apply for mine??

Comment

mine is a 94... does this apply for mine??
            I guess you can see whether your FB has any recalls here:

http://www.alldata.com/TSB/yr.html
            97 Trans Am A4 more or less stock (Mods: WS6 Ram Air with Fernco & K&N, 12 disc CD changer, power antenna, SLP Fan Switch, LS1 Aluminum DS, Borla Cat back, McCord power plate, Spohn tower brace, Sirius, HID fog lights)

1and1 Web Hosting

Comment

99083 is not listed for 94

Comment

No it is not but according to the parts list the 94 and the 95 pump are the same part number 12554580. If there is a recall on the 95 pump, it should also apply to the 94 since it is the exact same pump. It's worth a try.

Comment

The cure....

Pull the harness connector off the AIR pump, and leave it off.

Replace the fuse with a good one.

On 93-95 OBD-I cars, this will prevent the PCM from setting a code for a "missing" AIR pump. For 96/97 this will not work... you will get a code and SES light, because there are flow detectors.

AIR only runs for about 3 minutes at startup to help the cats heat up faster. Dyno type emissions tests do not typically test from cold start, so removing the pump will not affect emissions testing. It will however, increase emissions during cold start, to let your conscience be your guide. Some people have speculated that lack of the AIR pump will hasten the demise of the cats, but I have seen no proof of this.

If you want to restore it, try taking it apart. I have an old pump that I will send you for the cost of shipping if you are interested. It was still healthy when I removed it from my 94 about a year ago.
                  Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Working...
                  X