are these dyno #'s legit?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• are these dyno #'s legit?

i met a guy in my new town(im in the process of moving) who has a 96 lt1 with the same performance mods as me plus a cc306 cam, hooker longtubes and programming. he said he made 355 at the tires last week on the dyno, does this sound legit? thats an awful big gain for longtubes and a cam. if he is for real i know what cam im getting, thanks~gunter

1996 Trans Am WS6 #34
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/gunter96ws6

i need to know b/c a friend of mine bought this cam and decided to get anathor before the install and is selling it for cheap~gunter

1996 Trans Am WS6 #34

Comment

Any head work? A4 or M6?

With an M6, that would be 413flywheel, 428flywheel with the A4. I think people can get those kind of numbers with the LT4 HOT cam and LT4 heads, 1.6RR's, etc. Even though the 306 is more of a cam than the HOT cam, with no head work that seems a little high, at least for the A4.

Just guessing though.
      Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

I agree with Fred.... with stock heads I don't see that happening. If and that is a big IF he happens to have an LT1 that was on the high side to begin with, he could be close depending on other undisclosed mods. The cc306 is going to be awfully "peaky", drivability won't be the greatest. Not the best choice if for a mostly street driven car.

Comment

im with fred AND joe..........

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
          Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
          sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

There's a guy in our area with a 97 Z28 that ran in the 11's with a cam, long tubes, no head work, suspension mods and he's got an A4! There seem to be some engines that are just plain stronger than others. I think he almost put out 400 lb/ft of torque on the dyno but his hp numbers were lower than you would think. It's possible.
            69 Z28 with JL8 factory 4 wheel disc brakes, crossram, transistor ignition, radio delete, heater delete - being restored
            70 SS 396 L78 documented, #'s matching
            2000 SS Camaro daily beater

Comment

its a 6 speed and he said he runs 12.70's and he says the cam really isnt that bad on the street~gunter

1996 Trans Am WS6 #34

Comment

Originally posted by gunter96ws6
                its a 6 speed and he said he runs 12.70's and he says the cam really isnt that bad on the street~gunter
                Then my advice is to listen to him, ignore what we suggest, buy the cam and have at it. ET is a function of traction, MPH is a function of HP. Seems to me 355 HP to the wheels should ET much quicker than 12.70.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
                  Seems to me 355 HP to the wheels should ET much quicker than 12.70.
                  Unless you've got major traction issues, like my bird - 12.40's @119 mph.
                  96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
                  11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

As Joe pointed out, you don't measure engine HP with ET... you need to know the MPH. ET is a function of traction and driver skills.

A 412flywheelHP engine, in a 3500# car will run a shade under 114MPH. If you managed to "use" 100% of the HP, perfect launch, perfect shifts, perfect traction.... you would run 11.9-sec. Even if you only used 90% of the HP (more typical than 100%) it would run 12.3-sec.

To run a 12.7-sec at 100%, you only need 334flywheel. And your MPH would be 106.6

Not really important, since you seem to have made up your mind already.... .
                    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

i havnt made up my mind on anything seeing as how i dont have any money, im just being open minded to everyones opinions, ill ask him his mph and get back to you~gunter

1996 Trans Am WS6 #34

Comment

Working...
                      X