Axle oil seal question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Axle oil seal question

My axle oil seals (AKA rear wheel seals) on my 10 bolt are leaking. I am in the process of replacing them, but I found something interesting. It looks like they were leaking where they install on the axle tube, not where they usually leak from (the rubber seals that the axle rides on). There were some deep gouges on the surfaces of the axles tubes, it looks like someone tried to cut the old axle bearing out but missed and nicked the tube a couple of times.

So, for now, I put some JB weld in the gouges, let it dry, and then sanded it down flush with the mounting surface. My question is, can I do anything else to help prevent them from leaking again? I'm not even sure if the JB weld will help. I was thinking about putting RTV around the oil seals when I install them (like what you do with freeze plugs), but I wasn't sure if that's a good idea or not.

Any ideas or suggestions? Right now I'm desperate. I'll have a pic up of what I'm trying to explain shortly.
    1991 Chevy Camaro RS (Is it plum or purple?)
    Engine: 305 TBI (L03)
    Trans: TH700R4
    Mods: Some

CarDomain Site

Here's a picture of it. You can still see part of the gouge right up next to the axle bearing.

CarDomain Site

Comment

Shouldn't be hard to seal that up with RTV or something, but I don't know if I would use JB weld, or you might be the next one pounding & gouging to get bearings & seals out.

Comment

Shouldn't be hard to seal that up with RTV or something
        Good to know. Sometimes I really have no clue what to do in odd situations like this.

CarDomain Site

Comment

Working...
        X