Newbie Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie Question

hello everyone. im not so new to the board but still pretty new to f-bodies, and i was wondering whats the difference between a formula and a trans am? also what is the difference between those two and a firehawk?

it seems that a lot of the used car websites dont differentiate between these types. for example on autotrader they show trans ams as the ws6 firebirds. and show formulas as a mix of trans ams, regular v6 firebirds, and even firehawks. so im a little confused. i dont exactly undersatnd the grouping and what makes them go in that group. could someone please clear this up? thanks in advance

also if its too much to explain any links would be appreciated.

For the 4th Gen cars, there's a good explanation on the "4th Gen FAQ":

http://www.f-body.org/faq/4/index.htm

In a nutshell, a Formula and TransAm are basically the same car, with the TA getting different front and rear bumper covers and sideskirts, and having as standard a lot of the "options" that cost extra in the Formula. WS6 is an optional appearance and mild "performance" package offered on either the Formula or TA, depending on the years.
    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Originally posted by Injuneer
      For the 4th Gen cars, there's a good explanation on the "4th Gen FAQ":

http://www.f-body.org/faq/4/index.htm

In a nutshell, a Formula and TransAm are basically the same car, with the TA getting different front and rear bumper covers and sideskirts, and having as standard a lot of the "options" that cost extra in the Formula. WS6 is an optional appearance and mild "performance" package offered on either the Formula or TA, depending on the years.
      and to add, the Firehawk and the limited Comp T/A were "tier 1" cars modified by slp engineering and also recieved a "mild upgrade" for performance on the suspension, air flow in and out, wheels and tires......and...graphics...

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
      Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
      sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

thanks for the replies, they helped a lot. hey wolfman did you sell you firehawk yet? its a beautiful car. im hoping to get one some day, but due a little bit of research im starting to really see how rare they are. Me seeing your car in your sig when I was very new here sparked my love and interest for firehawks, and thats why ive been trying to learn more about them. but again the problem is they are hard to find and when you finally find one the likely-hood of it being remotely close by are slim. especially if you live in california, like myself, your options for f-bodies seem a lot less. but i still have my hopes up

Comment

^^^ sorry for all the grammar errors. i accidentally posted the error-free post in the wrong place and sent that one. lol

Comment

one more question for you guys. ive heard of this slp engineering, and how they mod firehawks and i was wondering if slp does only firehawks. is it for example to firehawks as amg is to mercedes?

Comment

SLP also did the SS conversion for the camaro, and did the WS6 conversion until 98 when it was turned over to ASC I believe. I don't think they do any other cars at the moment, they are just an aftermarket supplier now. Others may correct me if I'm wrong on that though.
              Dave M
              Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Comment

Working...
              X