Battery tray is broken

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery tray is broken

I just noticed that the front plastic clip is broken. No matter how tight I make the bolt, the battery will slide around a bit. I would buy another tray from GM, but I have a feeling if I do that, the same thing will happen again. Any suggestions? I would like to keep the battery in the stock location. Thanks.

The battery tray is integrated into the overflow container. You'll have to replace the entire assembly. Not sure if it would work, but you could try JB weld.

Comment

I have repaired a lot of broken plastic pieces by first scuffing the area to be repaired with sand paper. Next, I cut out a piece of sheet metal large enough to cover and overlap the cracked or broken area. Then I mix up some epoxy and hardner and smear it all over the plastic........Then I put the sheet metal on top of that......then I cover the sheetmetal with more expoxy. When all that dries, the area you repaired is generally stronger than it was when new.
      2000 Camaro SS..........6 speed triple black

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffs Black 97 Formula A4
        I just noticed that the front plastic clip is broken. No matter how tight I make the bolt, the battery will slide around a bit. I would buy another tray from GM, but I have a feeling if I do that, the same thing will happen again. Any suggestions? I would like to keep the battery in the stock location. Thanks.
        Mine broke the same way when the car was really new. I fixed it once, but the piece that broke off got lost and it's been that way the past 9 years. I think it's part of the whole coolant recovery tank assembly, so I'm sure it's not a 5 cent part at the dealer.

Comment

Recovery tank and tray are all one piece - part no 10402687. List price is $38.87. GMPartsDirect.com is $22.16 + shipping. If you print that out and take it to a dealer they will usually give you wholesale price.

Or try a junkyard. Parts manual shows the same part number for 93-02 V6 or V8!
          '95 Trans Am - A4, LE2 heads, LE1 cam, 1.6 ProMags, Comp R's, AS&M CAI, AS&M 54mm, MAC midlengths, Random Tech. cat, Borla cat back, PCMforless, Vigilante 2800, 3.73's, BMR LCAs/panhard/shock tower brace

Comment

Trying JB Weld now, does not look like it will work since I can't get the pieces to mend at the exact place it broke. Worth a try I guess. If I have to replace, how hard is it to do? Thanks.

Comment

From what I remember, it was simple.
              '95 Trans Am - A4, LE2 heads, LE1 cam, 1.6 ProMags, Comp R's, AS&M CAI, AS&M 54mm, MAC midlengths, Random Tech. cat, Borla cat back, PCMforless, Vigilante 2800, 3.73's, BMR LCAs/panhard/shock tower brace

Comment

Yea mine broke too. It must be common. I'll try glueing it.

LT4KM, 160' TS, MAF ends, TB-BP, GMPP 1.6 R/R, SLP CAI, LCA, Adj. tierod, BMR tower brace, 17x9"F/R, 275/40R17 GY F1 tires. WS6 Muffler, LS1 DS. 21mm rear sway bar. Soon to be LT4 heads, intake, & HOT cam

Comment

Mine is broke to.
                  I bought one from gmpartsdirect for $32.00
                  I just havent put it in yet.
                  1995 Z28 Convertible, 350ci LT1 73K miles M6.
                  Dyno results: 301.5 RWHP 326.7 RWTQ
                  Performance Mods 4.10 gears, AS&M CAI, MADZ28 tune, Borla catback, RK Sport mid-length headers, LT4 valve springs, CC pro mag 1.6 RR's, LT4 KM, MSD OVC wires, TB bypass, 160 t-stat, SLP clutch plate w/Kevlar dual friction disk, 52MM TB, TB air foil, 1LE aluminum driveshaft, ASP UD pulley, LS1 brakes w/ Hawk HPS pads, LCA's and PHB.

Comment

I've replaced mine after trying the JB Weld approach. The epoxy lasts only a little while then it gives out. Epoxying plastic can be difficult to get a good bond. The new design has reinforcement webbing molded into the plastic so they knew the original design was bad. I don't know if the new design will improve the life. Hopefully the design was tested out.

Warren
                    96 T/A,WS6,M6
                    79 T/A,WS6,A3,403
                    72 442,W30,A3
                    06 Vette,Z51,M6

Comment

Ok, got as far as taking the old tray/tank out, but how do you remove the hose that is connected on the tank (where the battery sits)? Thanks.

Comment

JOB IS DONE!

Nevermind, figured it out myself. I had to jam a screwdriver underneath the rubber grommet, then yank out the metal hose. I then placed the grommet in the new tank, and reinstalled the hose. On the other hand, I can't believe the sludge buildup on the tube that goes in the reservoir. I flushed the coolant at the recommended interval also.

Thank you all for your help! I just hope the new one does not break also (the new one has the three "reinforcement" plastic bulges as described in Warren's post).

Comment

Working...
                        X