New user

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New user

Hi all. Thought I might introduce myself. I'm new to this messaging stuff although I've been an internet surfer for years. I don't belong to any other internet message boards. I bought this 2001 Camaro last year because it was immaculate, low miles, and the price was right. However, it's got a 3.8L V-6 under the hood and that just won't cut it for too much longer. I've already started making upgrades to the suspension, i.e., tubular LCA's and panhard rod, strut tower brace, behemoth sway bars, and sub-frame connectors. Added a Hurst pro billet shifter 'cuz the stock throw was waaaaay too long. I really want to add two more cylinders (think LS1) and could use any advise/comments/dreads anyone might like to post on this subject.

I would go with a supercharger before the engine swap, or go with an LS1 Z28. The swap requires, motor, transmission, computer, harness, motor mounts, front springs, etc. I would only go through the pain and agony of an engine swap if I was moving up to a big block with an aftermarket PCM.
    '77 K5 rock-crawler project
    '79 T/A: WS6, 400 4sp, 40K miles; Completely stock and original
    '87 Lifted 3/4 ton Suburban (Big Blue) plow truck
    '94 Roadmaster Wagon (The Roadmonster) 200,000 miles and still going
    '97 T/A: (SLP 1LE Suspension, SB, & sfc(s), Loudmouth); 4.10s; B&M Ripper; R/A Hood; ZR1s
    My daily drivers: '06 Jeep Liberty CRD (wife); '01 Yukon Denali XL (me); '03 Stratus Coupe (me)

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

Comment

You really are better off buying a 8 cylinder car. When I was 18, out of ignorance I decided to put a 5.7 in my 86 2.8 Camaro. Every moving part in that car except the rearend had to be replaced. Radiator, motor mounts, engine, trans, accessories, exhaust, front springs, belts, hoses, tachometer, trany Xmember, tranny mount.... get the picture?? It was a mess. Final cost was well over $3,000 and I only paid $4,200 for the car. What did I have when done?? an Wanna-be Z. What a mistake.

I should had sold the car and bought a Z. I could had gotten a nice one for that money, too. Don't make the same mistake I did.

only benefit was the v6 insurance rates.. But, if discovered would my coverage been honored or would I had been charged with Insurance fraud?? Not worth the risk anymore.

Tracy

Comment

Well, that's two votes for the blower, I guess. To be honest, I've thought very seriously about the supercharger. But even if I go that route, I'm gonna need headers and a new exhaust system which will cost as much as a complete pull from a wrecked Z28 or SS of the same year (God knows there's a few of them around). I really like the looks of the standard coupe Camaro. I'm just not crazy about that V6 sound, and there are sooooo many more choices of aftermarket parts for the 5.7L motors. Besides, I would notify my insurance company. ;-)

Comment

There was a guy in our local club here (Cincinnati) that swapped an LS1 into his 98 Camaro. He bought the whole front end of a wrecked LS1(motor,trans,kmember,pcm,harness..you get the picture.) for about $4000.

He had the LS1 in and the car on the street in the same day. The guy that swapped in my 383 is the guy who did the swap for him. So it was probably $5000-$5500 total and it took less than a day.

The guy who did the swap, said that is the only way to go, if you really want to it!

As far as the supercharger goes. Your looking at close to $4000 anyway, plus once you've done that - there is nowhere else to go. Your maxxed out and running with the LS1's.

So for me, if I wanted to have a fast V6 - just to say I had one, I would go with a supercharger or Turbo. If I wanted a fast car period..., I would go buy an TA or a Z28.
          99 TA "RBLUTA" - NBM, M6, Whisper Lid, SLP Fan Switch, 160* Thermo, SLP LM, BMR STB & LCA's.

***SOLD*** It will be missed!!
          93 Formula "FRMLAV8" -383 Stroker

Comment

Do the v6 up. A supercharger isnt the end of the road, theres much more. Theres a whole cult following of v6 guys who run some serious numbers. You just have to research it. I agree with the rest. The swap is not worth it for the price of a used Z. Buy a Z28 (best option i.m.o.p.) or do up the V6 - it would be a sleeper.
            96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
            11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

Originally posted by N20LT4Bird
              Do the v6 up. A supercharger isnt the end of the road, theres much more. Theres a whole cult following of v6 guys who run some serious numbers. You just have to research it. I agree with the rest. The swap is not worth it for the price of a used Z. Buy a Z28 (best option i.m.o.p.) or do up the V6 - it would be a sleeper.
              Personally, I think you can have fun with the 3800 Series II motor. You can get a Vortech SC or you can get the intake, blower, accessories, and PCM off of a wrecked SC L67 3800 series. SLP sells a larger pulley for this unit, and their are lot of cam and bottom end options. Anyhow, if I was dead set on an LS1 f-body, I would get one. However, if I was ready to build my own, I would drop a 502 Ram Jet or ZL1 Ram Jet crate motor in a base model and set the suspension to where I want it or I would have fun with the 3.8. For fun, check out the 502 Ram Jet at http://www.samtaylor.com/html/parts.html. The LS1 is an awesome motor, and in the days of the 2.8 and 3.1 (even the 3.4), the base model f-bodies were throw aways, but that is not the case with the 3.8 3800 Series II. That motor has a lot of potential to it. If you look at its parent 3.8 Turbo in the Grand National...it smoked all of the V8s of its day, and many of them today.

Here is a good site to visit with the 3800 upgrades: http://www.intense-racing.com/
              '77 K5 rock-crawler project
              '79 T/A: WS6, 400 4sp, 40K miles; Completely stock and original
              '87 Lifted 3/4 ton Suburban (Big Blue) plow truck
              '94 Roadmaster Wagon (The Roadmonster) 200,000 miles and still going
              '97 T/A: (SLP 1LE Suspension, SB, & sfc(s), Loudmouth); 4.10s; B&M Ripper; R/A Hood; ZR1s
              My daily drivers: '06 Jeep Liberty CRD (wife); '01 Yukon Denali XL (me); '03 Stratus Coupe (me)

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
              Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Thanks for the encouraging words, Mark. But, if I wanted a Z28 or an SS I'd have bought one. Can't see paying the extra dough for a bunch of stuff that doesn't make the car go faster or handle any better. I'm all about top end and doin' 90 through those turns that are posted 55. I'm talkin' about a plain-brown-wrapper Camaro that eats GT Mustangs (even the one's on steriods) for snacks. A Camaro that will run the legs off a BMW 528i on any twisty road. A Camaro that will send shivers down the spine of the average Corvette owner (notice I said "average"). For that you have to have CID. I've been swappin' engines for a long time, not that big a deal. Guess I should have been more concise in my original post. What I was hoping to find was someone who has done a swap on a Gen. 4 Camaro and might have some tips or tricks to make it go smoother. Anyway, thanks for the opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by alexthered
                  I've been swappin' engines for a long time, not that big a deal.
                  I guess he knows, turning a v6 f-body into a Z is a piece of cake.
                  96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle

Comment

Happy swappin'
                    97 Trans Am A4 more or less stock (Mods: WS6 Ram Air with Fernco & K&N, 12 disc CD changer, power antenna, SLP Fan Switch, LS1 Aluminum DS, Borla Cat back, McCord power plate, Spohn tower brace, Sirius, HID fog lights)

1and1 Web Hosting

Comment

Now I remember why I never get involved in these chat room discussions. Some of you guys need to subscribe to wowiputaknairfilterinmycar.net.

Comment

Anytime your in the area and you wanna run drop me a post. With just my k+n airfilter im putting out over 500 horse and I installed it myself.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                        X