Need some help w/old LT4

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some help w/old LT4

first of all its still a beauty BUT! i took the liberty of putting on some new parts.....And i did it myself.... MAFS was first thing.. Easy NO problemo. Along with a 58mm Holley TB. It was a raining weekend so a 3 hour a project tured into the a 3 days adventure. I ported him out real nice. Got it all worked on....3 day i fired it up! AND!!!! ahaha it IDLES yes idles at 2,000 rpm.. now i know there is something wrong with this...When i go from park to drive it Squeels the tires.....and it stays at 2 grand STILL. this car is charged somehow it will not cool it lol....all electronics plugged back in correct. those cables to the TB where put back on correctly.. and the killer is... it gets 9 miles to the gallon now...I mean it burning fuel quick. I still need some help before my car explodes

Does it have a throttle stop screw like the factory one does?
    http://csce.uark.edu/~jgbertr/rb/accelerator_stop.jpg
    2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Yeah, check the TPS voltage on that.

Comment

Do you have an ses light? Make sure the iac is doing what its supposed to, check TPS, check for air leaks behind the MAF. If you play with the throttle stop, the computer may fight you, but try it, back of on the throttle blade opening and see. That 58mm T.B. is letting a lot more air go by than the stock T.B. those throttle blades need to be closed ? If you dont have head, intake and cam work, the 58 mm may be a bad idea.
        96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
        11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

You did swap the IAC/coolant plate from the old TB to the new one?

You've got too much air going into the engine at idle... either the TB blades are propped open by the stop, the accel cable is too short, the IAC motor is stuck open, or the TB gasket is leaking.

As noted above, put a scanner on it. Check the IAC counts and the TPS voltage. If the voltage is about 0.80V, the blades need to close, or the TPS sensor needs to be slotted and adjusted. If its the throttle stop screw that's causing the problem, start backing it off, watching the IAC counts. Back the screw out slowly until the IAC counts come down to the range of 20-40, with a smooth, stable idle. Then check the TPS voltage. 0.20-0.80V meets the factory specs, but most people get best results in the 0.60-0.67V range. If it isn't in that range, you need to slot the TPS holes to adjust it.
          Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Hey thanks, i will try all that i dont have the money for a scanner but one of the cables doesnt fit at all exactly, it isnt long enough but i dont know if its open because i didnt reconnect intill the elbow was on, and maybe i do need some voltage work my battery light turns on all the time. but it isnt unusal for my car to do that. (did it before) alot more air games threw with that TB i mean a ton..a like it just i knew something wasnt right. well thanks

Comment

Working...
            X