Is GM being sneaky?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is GM being sneaky?

One of two things...... either GM is throwing curveballs at the press or the press is so far behind it's not even funny. I can't help but think this article is more true than we think.

http://www.freep.com/money/autonews/...e_20050815.htm

http://www.freep.com/money/autonews/...e_20050815.htm

There have been many rumors about GM's plans to revive the rear drive platform. I'm going to cautiously believe it for now. I can't help but think GM sees Chrysler and Ford racking up sales with their rear drive cars. Let's just hope it's not too late.
    SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
    SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
    17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
    Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

Good, rear drive is where its at. My dad will finally stop complaining if it happens too.
      -Nick-
      95 A4 Z28

Comment

for now, it's commin.......

trouble is... what about these dern gas prices

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
        Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
        sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

2.57 for 87, 2.67 for 89, 2.73 for 93 i guess i should put the t-stat in my acclaim and start driving that
          2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

The gas prices are exactly why I've been driving the Accord. 30 mpg combined, 35 highway is keeping my wallet from being drained too badly.

Comment

I'm happy I sold my 96 Z28 and got the 99. The 96 car wasn't getting much past 20mpg with the modifications.

New Jersey prices aren't bad compared to other places. I just finished a trip to DC. Delaware is usually the lowest, but 93 was 2.69 there. Jersey has 2.64 and Maryland is 2.73 or higher.

When will the insanity end?
              Joe K.
              '11 BMW 328i
              '10 Matrix S AWD
              Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

Originally posted by Joe K. 96 Zeee!!
                I'm happy I sold my 96 Z28 and got the 99. The 96 car wasn't getting much past 20mpg with the modifications.

New Jersey prices aren't bad compared to other places. I just finished a trip to DC. Delaware is usually the lowest, but 93 was 2.69 there. Jersey has 2.64 and Maryland is 2.73 or higher.

When will the insanity end?
                I can relate..... the mods to my T/A have dropped the mileage to about 20 highway. When will the insanity end? It won't as long as we are dependant upon oil.

Comment

I think it is interesting how so many people are complaining about the price of gas going up. I don't hear people complaining about the price of cars or anything else going up so much. In 1985 the price of a Mustang GT was $9,599. In 2005 it's $25,815. That's a 269% increase in price. What was the cost of gas in 1985 ~$1.25? In 2005 I just paid $2.49 for regular (in the van). That's a 200% increase. It looks to me like we should complain about other things before gas.

I wish the Iraq war had have been about oil like the liberals were saying before the war. Then gas wouldn't cost so much now.
                  2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff 95 Z28
                    I think it is interesting how so many people are complaining about the price of gas going up. I don't hear people complaining about the price of cars or anything else going up so much. :
                    Ok..... I'm pissed about how much cars have increased. My Buick Grand National back in 86 was about 17K loaded to the max. The same type of performance vehicle, albiet not a Buick is about double. My 96 Crew Cab Dually was about 30K loaded to the max. The same truck last year before the employee discounts promotion was right at 40K+. I was able to buy my 97 WS6 for about 25K after discounts, a comparable Pontiac is now about 34K. These are hefty price increases!

How's that for complaining?

Comment

Hopefully the new 6-speed auto's should help them get better mileage. We'll see.

LT4KM, 160' TS, MAF ends, TB-BP, GMPP 1.6 R/R, SLP CAI, LCA, Adj. tierod, BMR tower brace, 17x9"F/R, 275/40R17 GY F1 tires. WS6 Muffler, LS1 DS. 21mm rear sway bar. Soon to be LT4 heads, intake, & HOT cam

Comment

I guess they herd the out after they cancelled Zeta. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out the success of the Chrysler 300. However, I will believe this when I see it, we saw what happened the last time they got out hopes up. Besides, if they follow through wit this plan, by the time GM gets these cars to market, it will be time for the next trend. I have lost all my faith and loyalty in GM. The 300 is scheduled to receive the Mercedes diesel in about two years(2006 for Europe)...that will be my next car (maybe the Jeep Liberty with the new diesel that is in production today).
                        '77 K5 rock-crawler project
                        '79 T/A: WS6, 400 4sp, 40K miles; Completely stock and original
                        '87 Lifted 3/4 ton Suburban (Big Blue) plow truck
                        '94 Roadmaster Wagon (The Roadmonster) 200,000 miles and still going
                        '97 T/A: (SLP 1LE Suspension, SB, & sfc(s), Loudmouth); 4.10s; B&M Ripper; R/A Hood; ZR1s
                        My daily drivers: '06 Jeep Liberty CRD (wife); '01 Yukon Denali XL (me); '03 Stratus Coupe (me)

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
                        Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff 95 Z28
                          I wish the Iraq war had have been about oil like the liberals were saying before the war. Then gas wouldn't cost so much now.
                          Yeah, no kidding! I set a record for my car the other day.......first time ever spending over $50.00 to fill it up. I remember in 2001 before I moved up here, it cost me at the most $20.00 - $25.00 to fill up. Now, four years later I am paying more than twice that. But, of course, the war to get more oil...... Cars definitely cost too much...I mean, yeah....they are becoming more technologically advanced everyday, but I can't see them costing that much more to build.

2000 Black Camaro w/3800 V6. Hotchkis STB, Whisper Lid, K&N, Flowmaster exhaust.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
                            Ok..... I'm pissed about how much cars have increased. My Buick Grand National back in 86 was about 17K loaded to the max. The same type of performance vehicle, albiet not a Buick is about double. My 96 Crew Cab Dually was about 30K loaded to the max. The same truck last year before the employee discounts promotion was right at 40K+. I was able to buy my 97 WS6 for about 25K after discounts, a comparable Pontiac is now about 34K. These are hefty price increases!

How's that for complaining?
                            he he he

As you see my only point is the gas prices are not outpacing inflation.
                            2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

I don't know if any of you read the articles on Autoextremist.com but the web site owner Tony DeLorenzo who is an auto consultant always calls it l;ike he sees it. This past week he had an interesting article on GM on his web site. He is critical about a lot of things but he also gives praise when due. Here are some of his comments of praise on upcomming GM products.

"Much has been made of late that GM is getting its mojo back. They've recently brought in journalists and analysts to see the new products they have coming over the next 36 months, which indeed look impressive across a wide array of segments and price points. They've totally revamped their marketing organization, putting Mark LaNeve at the helm, with Brent Dewar as his top lieutenant, and they are attempting to streamline GM's model offerings among the divisions so as to eliminate the overlap whenever possible, while bringing some sense to GM's overall marketing strategy. And finally, CEO Rick Wagoner and his trusted aides are focusing on the Big Picture - trying to transform GM from being a wounded giant back on its heels, to a more savvy, leaner organization that acts - rather than reacts.

On the product front, I can verify that what GM has coming is excellent for the most part, and in some cases even outstanding and potentially segment-leading. Boasting crisp and adventurous designs, smart engineering and bristling with a level of interior integrity and tasteful detailing never seen before in products from General Motors - these cars and trucks have a real shot at transforming the company's presence in the market. The GM product renaissance led by Bob Lutz is not a mirage. The early boo-birds who were claiming that Lutz had lost his touch seem to have forgotten about the concept of lead-time in this business - and the ranks of the doubters will soon dwindle as some of these hot new products hit the streets."
                              2000 Camaro SS..........6 speed triple black

Comment

Working...
                              X