Tranny and rear end questions....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tranny and rear end questions....

Guys, because I am starting a stroker motor here in the next month or so I wanted to ask you guys what you recommend as far as the other parts of the drivetrain. I know I can't build up the motor and keep the stock rear end for instance. I also know I need to get the tranny built.

Now, the guy building the motor has a contact who works on trannys, but what am I asking for? Do I just tell the guy I need it built to withstand so and so horsepower? Sorry, I don't really understand the inner workings of a tranny at all. What makes it stronger than stock?

As far as the rear I was thinking the best bet would problably a Moser 12 bolt like Fred has, but I could also get a Ford 9 bolt done for it. Any suggestions there? I'm leaning toward the twelve bolt because I really don't want to put a Ford part in my car.

'95 TA A4, 118000 on the clock!
    Borla, Strange 3.73's, SLP CAI, Vortech elbow,AFS Z06 Wheels,White gauges/blue backlighting,blue custom interior,MBA Shift knob,MadZ28 Tune, Intrax springs, Bilstein shocks, ES Trans Mount, Honeycomb taillights.

13.685@102.11

Actually, Fred has a Strange 12-bolt

The 9-inch weighs more, loses 3% more HP, and causes some problems with driveshaft and torque arm geometry. It is not available with 3-channel ABS. There is a limit to how many splines you can run on the axles and still run a limited slip. Ultimately, the 9-inch can be built stronger, and for enough $$$$$$$ can be made as light as a 12-bolt. There are now some gear face treatments that are able to reduce the friction losses significantly. But you can also lighten and reduce friction in the 12-bolt.

But for an automatic, at 800HP or less, I'd stick with the 12-bolt.

On the tranny, I'll defer to the people who know about automatics.... I know nothing at all. I let the shop that built my engine pick out the tranny. And its not the best solution for a street car.
    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

I too have a limited knowledge on trannys right now...but I do remember when I bought my trans. They had different packages for 4L60E's for whatever type of application. I went with the next step up.... and was told it could handle 400 rwhp with no problem at all.

Here's what they say is included with this trans at their site...

"STREET EVIL Package Price: $1850
      Bushing Kit, Master Overhaul Kit, New OEM Style Filter, Update SKF Input Sprag, New Washers And Bearings, Updated Low Roller Clutch, New Steel Oil Pan, Raybestos Indy Red Clutches, Reprogrammed & Updated Valve Body, Valve Body Spacer Plate, New Internal Wire Harness, New EPC Solenoid, New Shift Solenoids, New Speed Sensor, New 13 Van Pump Rotor, Corvette 2nd Servo, New Selector Shaft, Raybestos Pro Series 2-4 Band, Molded Steel & Rubber Pistons For Input Drum.
      Plus Other Upgrades That Dr. Evil Will Not Divulge
      Options:
      Aluminum Deep Pan: $150
      Super 4th Gear Servo: $115"

I got it through
      http://www.roadmastertranz.com/home.php ...they rebuild factory trannys

they work through

http://www.dreviltransmissions.com/home.html for performance applications.

I wound up also getting a 2500 stall with it ($100 extra). After my core deposit, it came out to $1300.
      black 95 t/a, a4, beefed up tranny w/ higher stall converter, transgo shift kit, trans temp gauge, trans cooler, richmond 3.73's, loudmouth, hypertech programmer, 160 thermo, descreened maf, TB bypass and airfoil, trick flow intake elbow, underdrive pulleys, moroso cai, edelbrock panhard rod, bmr stb, slp sfc's, fiberglass firehawk hood, hawk pads, taylor wires, ngk plugs, royal purple fluids,...and hopefully more to come

Comment

Thanks, Fred.

Yeah, I'm pretty decided on the rear end that you use (even though I got the brand wrong) I read a thread that was from a while back where you guys discussed the pros and cons between the two main rears and I like the simplicity and bolt in ability of the rear you picked.

I am problably going to have the stroker built to withstand about a 150 shot of nitrous too so I am guessing that would put the car in the 600hp range? I could be way off on that. Anyway, in addition to the stroker kit I am going to have my aluminum heads ported and the intake ported to match. The builder will pick the cam for me since he will know which one to go with.

After all of that I just want to make sure the rest of the car stays together. I am actually going to have the whole drivetrain apart this winter and while it is I am going to get under the car and clean up the undercarriage. By next summer, I hope to have a new looking, and feeling car.

Any tranny guys out there?

Borla, Strange 3.73's, SLP CAI, Vortech elbow,AFS Z06 Wheels,White gauges/blue backlighting,blue custom interior,MBA Shift knob,MadZ28 Tune, Intrax springs, Bilstein shocks, ES Trans Mount, Honeycomb taillights.

13.685@102.11

Comment

I dont no about an auto but i know my six speed is very fun and g-force builds a t-56 for 900and800 hp/tq. Ate the site they say rating may very depending on the weight of the car. I dont understand that. I dont no if it is the same case for autos.
          2000 trans am auto, Afr 205,tr 220/220 112, mti lid, 160t,umi sfc,hooker headers and ory y,loud mouth. bellow,pr's,harland rockers,new lifters,ls6 oilpump,rollermaster doubler roller, msd wires.

Comment

I'm going to have a somewhat uncommon stroker, and I need the tranny to be able to take 500hp or more according to the guy building the motor. Also, I will have the tranny out of the car as soon as the weather breaks so I'm guessing I won't need t pay the core charge that they normally charge.

13.685@102.11

Comment

Originally posted by jerrysta
              Also, I will have the tranny out of the car as soon as the weather breaks so I'm guessing I won't need t pay the core charge that they normally charge.
              I'm not sure if different companies handle business differently, but I took out my tranny before I bought my new one also and didn't have to pay the core charge.
              black 95 t/a, a4, beefed up tranny w/ higher stall converter, transgo shift kit, trans temp gauge, trans cooler, richmond 3.73's, loudmouth, hypertech programmer, 160 thermo, descreened maf, TB bypass and airfoil, trick flow intake elbow, underdrive pulleys, moroso cai, edelbrock panhard rod, bmr stb, slp sfc's, fiberglass firehawk hood, hawk pads, taylor wires, ngk plugs, royal purple fluids,...and hopefully more to come

Comment

Makes perfect sense if you have it out theres no need to trade.

I don't get one thing though. In Summits catalog they have rebuilt or new trannys starting at 7 or 8 hundred bucks.

So, it's worth more money to keep OEM? That would be unusual, to say the least.

13.685@102.11

Comment

Working...
                X