Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just Ported MAF and Throttle Body bypassed.. Have questions

As the title says....

Just thought I'd ask though, is there anything I should be aware of?

I looked for leaks, didn't see any. No check engine light.... so I guess I'm good?

Oh, I did notice the idle seems a tad different... by different I mean that it idles a 1000 rpm, and every now and then drops to 800 then jumps back to 1000..... normal??

By the way, do I need the PCM programmed for this too?
    1997 Trans Am WS6 Black M6
    370 RWHP / 352 TQ
    CC306 & Comp behives, LT1 Extreme Duty timing set, 1.6 RR's, CSR Elec Water Pump, Pacesetter LT's & ORY, GMMG w/ Ovals, K&N, Air Foil, TB Bypass, !AIR, !EGR, !CAGS, 160 deg thermo, LT4 KM, PCM tuning by Total-ReCal, March Pullies, Pro 5.0, 4.11 gears, LS1 alum DS, BMR strut tower brace, UMI SFC's, LCA's w/relo brackets & panhard

Hmm...well i know that my car idles at 1000 rpms usualy, is that high or somthing? always seemed fine to me but idk.
    96 Camaro Z28, T-tops, 6 Speed, Slp CIA, Flowmaster cat-back, 3:42 gears

Comment

Originally posted by 96Camaro
      Hmm...well i know that my car idles at 1000 rpms usualy, is that high or somthing? always seemed fine to me but idk.
      No, I don't think thats high... I'm just wondering about the drop to 800 and then back to 1000....
      370 RWHP / 352 TQ
      CC306 & Comp behives, LT1 Extreme Duty timing set, 1.6 RR's, CSR Elec Water Pump, Pacesetter LT's & ORY, GMMG w/ Ovals, K&N, Air Foil, TB Bypass, !AIR, !EGR, !CAGS, 160 deg thermo, LT4 KM, PCM tuning by Total-ReCal, March Pullies, Pro 5.0, 4.11 gears, LS1 alum DS, BMR strut tower brace, UMI SFC's, LCA's w/relo brackets & panhard

Comment

What exactly did you do when you "ported" the MAF? Hack it up bad enough and you'll have idle problems. Really not a very useful mod, IMHO. Stock MAF is fine.

Any chance you dripped coolant on the Opti when you did the coolant bypass?
        Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Originally posted by shadyphi
          No, I don't think thats high... I'm just wondering about the drop to 800 and then back to 1000....
          That's the downside to porting the MAF. The data now received by the PCM is no longer matched to it's tables. Mass air calibrations are now off. Some programmers won't even tune a car with a ported MAF (because the calibration is lost). Porting the MAF was the rage years ago, but since then most have learned it is better not to mess with it.
          Rob B 95Z A4 Tech Page (Part numbers / locations, how to's, schematics, DTC's...) Home Page - shbox.com

Comment

I switched back to the stock MAF ends, unported with the screen on. This was after using MBA MAF ends. I think the idle is smoother with the stock MAF. However, when I talked to Bryan at PCMforless, he recommended I put the MBA ends back on because he has programmed many more cars with them. But the big kicker is that he said he has not seen any gains from ported ends...and he has seen many dynos.
            94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

The stock MAF in my 89 can flow up to 658 CFM with the screens removed. This is well within the amount of air that my 383 can gobble up. What can a 4th gen MAF flow stock? What would be the benifit of Porting the MAF? I always thought that a stock MAF was good for almost any NA engine, I only thought you needed to replace the MAF when boosting your engine. Can anyone clear this up for me?

Eric W.

89 Firebird Formula WS6
              Accel/Lingenfelter Super Ram
              6.2L/382.97 ci
              Custom PROM Dyno tuned
              WCT-5 speed
              BW 9-bolt Posi 3.45
              Boss MS 18" Rims
              Headman Headers 1 5/8 Ceramic Coated
              Custom Dual exhaust
              1LE upgrade
              Custom Temperature / Navigation Rear View Mirror
              In a constant state of upgrade!

Comment

Thanks to RangerBob, http://dtcc.cz28.com/flow/ shows the flow of a de-screened 4th gen MAF. 719 cfm according to them. Not sure of the difference with the screen though
                94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

ive heard about a lot of people messing around witht the maf's before. I read up on it (at least for 3rd gens) adn it seemed that it was a bad idea, mainly becuase of what was mentioned earlier (the computer calibration is off) so that your engine isnt getting the proper readings and that there isnt really any gains from doing it. Although if you did flow more air and had an engine that could use it all and someone to tune it right, i suppose it would be ok. But for an NA car that is mostly stock it probobly wouldnt be necessary.
                  -Dan

1986 350 TPI Trans Am, 700R-4, Flowmaster exhaust, CAI, 180* t/stat, low temp fan switch, SFC's....Sold.

Project Status: LT1 disassembled, researching costs, searching for project car.

Comment

So what exactly is "porting" the MAF? What do you do to it?

SOLD 1995 Trans AM 6 Speed 68k Miles - Ram Air, Borla Cat-Back, AR TTII's, JL Audio W6v2 Stealthbox and 500/1 MonoBlock Amp, Alpine Component Speaker Systems

Comment

Here is where I learned how to do it.... http://www.installuniversity.com

I'm up to trying new things though, and really don't care if I screw it up, because I have a spare stock MAF

I guess I like to learn the hard way.. lol but, I have learned to buy spares, so I can always go back if I royally screw up.
                      370 RWHP / 352 TQ

Comment

Good idea man, if stuff doesnt work out it always is good to have some spares lying around to use in a bind.
                        -Dan

1986 350 TPI Trans Am, 700R-4, Flowmaster exhaust, CAI, 180* t/stat, low temp fan switch, SFC's....Sold.

Project Status: LT1 disassembled, researching costs, searching for project car.

Comment

Working...
                        X