Door coming off???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Door coming off???

This is odd... My passanger side door is starting to peel off from the inner skin. It's starting to disglue from the keylock area and up. I called around a couple body shops and they told me that our cars' doors are glued together and make up 2 skins: the outer skin and the inner skin.

Where can I get this adhesive and is this something I can do my self?
    Hercules

2008 Sunburst Metallic HHR LT

A friend of mine works at a body shop and when I bought my car this is one of the things he said our cars were notorius for. I am not sure how to fix this, but if I can get ahold of him I will see what he says.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside thoroughly used up and totally worn out, loudly proclaiming......WOW WHAT A RIDE!!!

Comment

Originally posted by DJ Taso
      This is odd... My passanger side door is starting to peel off from the inner skin. It's starting to disglue from the keylock area and up. I called around a couple body shops and they told me that our cars' doors are glued together and make up 2 skins: the outer skin and the inner skin.

Where can I get this adhesive and is this something I can do my self?
      Found this from another site... "Go to the store and get the strongest epoxy you can find. Coat all around the paint around the break with Vaseline (DO THIS) Make a generous bead down the break, and take some C-clamps and clamp it in two or three spots. The epoxy will ooze out, wipe off any excess, the Vaseline will keep it off your paint. Let dry, wipe off Vaseline, you're good to go."

One person suggested stuff called E-POX. Just go to a trustworthy auto parts store and ask what the best epoxy is. The Vaseline looks like a good trick as well. Hope this helps.
      SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
      SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
      17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
      Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

How about 3M 8115 panel bonding adhesive?

Comment

Originally posted by Revver
          How about 3M 8115 panel bonding adhesive?
          I hope in the 5 years that it has been since the last post that the guy found a way to fix his door. Never hurts to have an adhesive recommendation, though.
          Rob B 95Z A4 Tech Page (Part numbers / locations, how to's, schematics, DTC's...) Home Page - shbox.com

Comment

LOL......Amen to that Rob! A good adhesive in the right situation can save you hundreds of dollars.

Back a couple of decades ago, there was this stuff called "urethane bond" that was made by Dow or 3M.

Epoxies are great, but sometimes you need something that has the same strength of adhesion, but will "give" a little if slightly flexed, without weakening.

I don't know if anyone makes this stuff anymore, but it used to work great. I think about the closest thing you'll find to it is a product called "windo-weld" made by 3M.

I have had pretty good luck with "gorilla glue" as well.

When I had to take apart one of my headlight motors to replace a gear, I used G.G. on that, and it has held for at least 3 years.
            '94 Firebird Formula, Lt1, 6 speed, all stock

Comment

3M 8219 Adhesive
              SMC/FIBERGLASS two part Automix panel adhesive.
              Used for structural bonding SMC/FRP panels to frames.
              Work time 30 minutes.
              Handling time 2 hours.
              Cure time 24 hours.

Comment

10 yrs ago when I bought my Firebird, my driver door was doing the same thing...from the top of the door down about 6 inches. I epoxied mine, clamped and let set overnight. Still holding together to this day.
                LarryMow-93 V6 Firebird-No engine mods-Z06 Wheels, '98 Taillights,'98 Center Console-SLP fan switch-BMR STB, F/R Swaybars, PHB,LCA,Torque Arm, SFC, Bilsteins, Eibachs....www.cardomain.com/ride/2489691/1

Comment

Working...
                X