Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Place to buy an LT1 block with 4 bolt mains??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Place to buy an LT1 block with 4 bolt mains??

Does anyone know of a place where I can get a bare LT1 block out of a Corvette that has 4 bolt mains? I'm looking for a scrapyard type price because the block will be completely built from the ground up, but i want to start with 4 bolt mains.

Thanks guys!

'95 TA A4, 118000 on the clock!
    Borla, Strange 3.73's, SLP CAI, Vortech elbow,AFS Z06 Wheels,White gauges/blue backlighting,blue custom interior,MBA Shift knob,MadZ28 Tune, Intrax springs, Bilstein shocks, ES Trans Mount, Honeycomb taillights.

13.685@102.11

you can try www.fbodyjunk.com. I know you want a 4 bolt, but if you called the guy, he might be able to get you a vette LT1 and he's looking at about $995 for the entire engine, so probably like 500 for a block. Give him a call. I got my 6 speed from him, he was a great guy. His wife does all the orders but if a question arises, she'll put you through to him. Good Luck

Comment

This might help you...
      http://www.golenengineservice.com/ht...rt_blocks.html
      96 Camaro Z28/A4,Vortech elbow,Moroso CAI,Flowmaster.Addco PHR,LCA,160* Stat,pcmforless,1LE Driveshaft,1LE A/C delete pulley,1LE Front sway bar,Strut brace,sub frames, LT4 knock module,255 lph pump,Cutout,

Comment

Why not stick with the 2-bold mains and get them drilled for splayed(spelling??) 4-bolt mains. that should be strongers then a regular 4-bolt block.
        Richard Harvey Jr.
        '94 T/A LT1 (stock) - SOLD

Comment

Good point. As you pointed out there are other ways of doing things. We are using my existing block.

Borla, Strange 3.73's, SLP CAI, Vortech elbow,AFS Z06 Wheels,White gauges/blue backlighting,blue custom interior,MBA Shift knob,MadZ28 Tune, Intrax springs, Bilstein shocks, ES Trans Mount, Honeycomb taillights.

13.685@102.11

Comment

Although its a popular belief that splayed mains are stronger than straight bolt mains, its not always black and white. While the small angle made by the outer bolts add lateral stability over the straight bolts, the fact that the caps sits in a register on the block limits the value of that strength.

When you drill for the two extra bolts, you're removing metal from the block, perhaps weakening the block at a critical location. GM knew that the LT1 block would be used in a (straight) 4-bolt application, and appears to have factored that into the amount of metal they put between the cylinders.

The shop that built my engine, concerned about an 1,110+HP LT they were building at the same time, spent a lot of time probing and measuring the LT1 block. Their assessment was that GM had used many of the same features in the LT1 block that they designed into their better know "Bowtie" performance block. The particular engine they ultimately built in the 1,125HP configuration was a straight 4-bolt block out of a Corvette. After a couple of years of use at that level, the block was removed (upgrade to a Dart Iron Eagle block), and its was in amazingly good condition. It was sold to a guy who's building a high HP nitrous stroker.

Point is that I would not write off the stock 4-bolt configuration as inferior to a splayed 4-bolt conversion. I have the Pro-Gram splayed 4-bolt setup, but the shop just rolled their eyes when I asked them for the splayed configuration.
            Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Originally posted by jerrysta
              Does anyone know of a place where I can get a bare LT1 block out of a Corvette that has 4 bolt mains? I'm looking for a scrapyard type price because the block will be completely built from the ground up, but i want to start with 4 bolt mains.

Thanks guys!
              I do have one Bare LT1 block and had honed and it's original. Never rebore on cylinders. I will check it if its correct LT-1. I remmy it has 2 bolts but you make extra bolts to do drill and new bolts. Let me know if you interesting.
              Cool!!! ..Keep it simple
              Working on put LS2 Carburator w/T-56 without PCM on '01 Camaro, was original V-6.
              G D Luck me???

Comment

My wife thinks I'm very interesting.... so does my mom....outside of that I don't have many fans....

Fred, the builder mentioned buying a dart block but due to the fact that I don't want to spend 7-8k on the motor using my existing block makes sense. I will not have an 800 plus HP car.....I'm thinking more like 500RWHP. When we start the actual build I will post as to what exactly is being done, as well as specs.

I can say this, as far as stroker motors, it will be a somewhat "rare" size.

13.685@102.11

Comment

Working...
                X