91, or 93 Octane Gas

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 91, or 93 Octane Gas

Can I run the car on 91 octane instead of 93, or will it hurt performance? (Also been using only 93 octane since Nov. of 1999 does that matter?) Gas is expensive now, so was going to put in half a tank of 93, and half a tank of 89 thus making 91 octane.
    94 Formula LT1 (Aqua Metallic) - Auto. - 104,000 miles - Charcoal Leather Mods: Magnaflow Muffler, Lingenfelter CAI, MadZ28 Tune, 160F Hyp. T-Stat., 1LE Elbow, & Summit Cutout. Options: 155 MPH Gauge Cluster, & 255-50ZR-16 Tires.

CA only has up to 91. Thus I've been running 91 for years and the performance has been great...no pinging at all either.
    94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

It definitely will not hurt the engine to run on 91. You may see some very minor power loss, if you are getting any knock retard as a result.

Different octane levels are available in different areas of the country partly as a result of the elevation. You need less octane the higher the elevation. With DE being essentially at sea level, it is possible that on a very hot day (increases octane requirement) you might see some knock retard. Your car is old enough that you might have some carbon builup (increases octane requirement).

The only way you would know would be to monitor the PCM with something like a ScanMaster, that will give you real time readout of retard. It isn't likely you would ever hear "pinging", since the knock sensor hears it way before you could, and the PCM retards the timing.
      Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Oh my... our low octane fuel over here in the uk is 95 octane... super unleaded is 97 to 98... no wonder people always say its expensive! 93pence litre..
        Screaming Mad
        Car: 1994 Camaro, 3.4l V6
        Pace Setter headers & Y pipe, Flowmaster Z28 exhaust, K&N cone filter. modded 4l60e, trans cooler, strut brace, Eibach pro-kit
        0-60 7.74
        1/4 16.52 @ 85.3

Bike: Suzuki GSXR K4 600, K&N filter,Rizla kit, R&G bobbins, Db screen, LED indicators

Comment

Running a lower octane fuel with knock retard should result in lower gas milage as well, right???
          Joe K.
          '11 BMW 328i
          '10 Matrix S AWD
          Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

Originally posted by Screaming mad
            Oh my... our low octane fuel over here in the uk is 95 octane... super unleaded is 97 to 98... no wonder people always say its expensive! 93pence litre..
            In Europe, you use a "different" octane rating. You are using what is referred to as "Research Octane". That is determined using a test procedure that consitst mainly of "normal" driving. Nothing aggressive.

The other test procedure used to measure octane is called "Motor Octane". That is a measure of the fuel's ability to resist detonation under very heavy loads, more representative of performance driving. It isn't unusual for Research Octane to be 10 numbers higher than the Motor Octane number.

While you use "Research" in Europe, in the USA we use the "average" of the "Research" and "Motor" numbers, expressed on the pump as (R+M)/2.

That would explain about a 5 number difference between what you see posted on your pumps and what we see posted on ours.... same fuel, different method of measuring the octane rating.
            Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Is it ok to use octane boost you can buy from the parts store?

SOLD 1995 Trans AM 6 Speed 68k Miles - Ram Air, Borla Cat-Back, AR TTII's, JL Audio W6v2 Stealthbox and 500/1 MonoBlock Amp, Alpine Component Speaker Systems

Comment

Hmmm....I read somwhere one time that if you were to mix lets say 91 octain with 89 or somthing like that, the octain rating would not be 90, it would actualy stay lower then that.
                96 Camaro Z28, T-tops, 6 Speed, Slp CIA, Flowmaster cat-back, 3:42 gears

Comment

Originally posted by Jeanius
                  Is it ok to use octane boost you can buy from the parts store?
                  Ive used a bunch of these and have noticed no difference in gas mileage or even performance whatever it might be. Not worth the 5 dollars. Go get yourself another gallon and half of gas instead
                  -Lou -

1997 30th Anniversary Firebird Formula

Comment

is there any way I can measure the octane of fuel at home? i often mix octane booster for my bike and car.. my bike was designed to b run on 100octane in japan! just wondered if there is anyway of using hydrometer etc to measure octane? or does it have to be under load as described above (ron/ mon / average)
                    Screaming Mad
                    Pace Setter headers & Y pipe, Flowmaster Z28 exhaust, K&N cone filter. modded 4l60e, trans cooler, strut brace, Eibach pro-kit
                    0-60 7.74
                    1/4 16.52 @ 85.3

Bike: Suzuki GSXR K4 600, K&N filter,Rizla kit, R&G bobbins, Db screen, LED indicators

Comment

No. Measuring "octane" rating is an extremely complex test procedure, requiring the fuel to be run in an actual "standard" engine.
                      Fred

Comment

Here is some interesting reading on brewing your own high octane fuel. I've done this for yours with my GN, maybe some of you can use the info.

http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/misc/octanebooster.html

Comment

thought it sounded too easy, just been to 2 paint shops, closest they got is gallon drums of toulene xylene methanol mix! can not very discriptive so could contain other products? also i dont know in what percentages there in?
                          Screaming Mad
                          0-60 7.74
                          1/4 16.52 @ 85.3

Comment

Working...
                          X