Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Notice to all who converted their brakes from LT1 to LS1. (WRD1972)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Notice to all who converted their brakes from LT1 to LS1. (WRD1972)

I just learned something the hard way. I had a blow out in my car this morning. It sounded like a gun shot. My tire probably has 3/4 tread on it too. There is a nail in it. I'm not sure if that is why. I find it hard to believe it is the reason for it. The outside tire separated from the casing. The inside did not. I believe it is from driving on it flat for a mile though. I'm not sure what caused it.

Anyway my point of this post is my spare tire would not fit either the front or the back. The rim hit the calipers. My 16" salad shooter fit the rear fine. I did not try the front. If you converted your brakes, your spare may not fit. I'm going to carry a salad shooter until I can find a 17" spare.
    2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

I would imagine that a spare from an LS1 would work.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
      I would imagine that a spare from an LS1 would work.
      that's one thing I noticed...the spare diameter on a LS1 is huge (for a spare that is)

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
      Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
      B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
      Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
      Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

Thanks for the warning, I never thought about the spare issue. I might have to come up with a LS1 complient spare rim. Im glad I havent run into a flat since the conversion.
        1995 Z28 Convertible, 350ci LT1 73K miles M6.
        Dyno results: 301.5 RWHP 326.7 RWTQ
        Performance Mods 4.10 gears, AS&M CAI, MADZ28 tune, Borla catback, RK Sport mid-length headers, LT4 valve springs, CC pro mag 1.6 RR's, LT4 KM, MSD OVC wires, TB bypass, 160 t-stat, SLP clutch plate w/Kevlar dual friction disk, 52MM TB, TB air foil, 1LE aluminum driveshaft, ASP UD pulley, LS1 brakes w/ Hawk HPS pads, LCA's and PHB.

Comment

Yup....I ordered up an LS1 spare from billy grahams after I did my upgrade. Did you convert the rear brakes to LS1 as well?

The salad shooters will fit the front no problem. I used them until I got my 17's.

pic of salad shooter on LS1 front
          95 Z28, A4, 3.23's and some other stuff....

Comment

Originally posted by 4THGEN Z
            Yup....I ordered up an LS1 spare from billy grahams after I did my upgrade. Did you convert the rear brakes to LS1 as well?

The salad shooters will fit the front no problem. I used them until I got my 17's.

I used an entire LS1 rear end including brakes.

The salad shooter will be my spare too.
            2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

Comment

I only have the LS1 front brakes.
              So if i bust a rear tire, the spare will fit fine.

If I bust a front, I put the spare on the back and take the good back tire and put it on the front. Its a PITA but I dont have to buy a new spare.

PURE JEENYUS
              1995 Z28 Convertible, 350ci LT1 73K miles M6.
              Dyno results: 301.5 RWHP 326.7 RWTQ
              Performance Mods 4.10 gears, AS&M CAI, MADZ28 tune, Borla catback, RK Sport mid-length headers, LT4 valve springs, CC pro mag 1.6 RR's, LT4 KM, MSD OVC wires, TB bypass, 160 t-stat, SLP clutch plate w/Kevlar dual friction disk, 52MM TB, TB air foil, 1LE aluminum driveshaft, ASP UD pulley, LS1 brakes w/ Hawk HPS pads, LCA's and PHB.

Comment

spare in rear...
                i also have a word of wisdom. the positraction rear end won't like the two different tire diameters
                i did that 2 yrs ago and i bought a new rear end after i drove on it 30 miles i didn't have positraction the next day burned it up always put the spare in the front.
                Black 95 z28, 60k miles, 10 spoke SS rims, k&n cai, flowmaster,hypertech 3, 3.42's, running 13.8@ 101 with slicks

Comment

Originally posted by Hobbs95
                  spare in rear...
                  i also have a word of wisdom. the positraction rear end won't like the two different tire diameters
                  i did that 2 yrs ago and i bought a new rear end after i drove on it 30 miles i didn't have positraction the next day burned it up always put the spare in the front.
                  I don't have a posi, I have a torsen.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff 95 Z28
                    I used an entire LS1 rear end including brakes.

The salad shooter will be my spare too.
                    are you gonna carry your shooter? just curious...cuz I don't think they fit in the spare well...

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
                    Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
                    B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
                    Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
                    Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

Originally posted by LimTeng99TransAm
                      are you gonna carry your shooter? just curious...cuz I don't think they fit in the spare well...
                      Yes. It is sitting on top of the gas tank now. It looks like crap there too. It does not fit in the tire well and it does not fit where the T tops go. Not to mention it weights a lot more than the spare did. I have to find a "may pop" spare soon.

Comment

Very good info. Jeff, thanks. As you recall, I'm considering doing the conversion as well, so its good to know that I'll need a new spare. Also, thanks 4THGENZ for the pic...its a relief to know my stock wheels will work
                        Steve
                        79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
                        87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
                        93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
                        http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

What size is your spare that you got from Billy Graham and how much did it cost?

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff 95 Z28
                            What size is your spare that you got from Billy Graham and how much did it cost?
                            I think he charged me sumthin like $40.....it is an actual spare from an LS1 f-bod.
                            95 Z28, A4, 3.23's and some other stuff....

Comment

I think he charged me sumthin like $40.....it is an actual spare from an LS1 f-bod.
                              Is it a 16" or 17" spare?

Comment

Working...
                              X