Gear Install Done Review of Stage 1 in North Jersey w/n

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gear Install Done Review of Stage 1 in North Jersey w/n

Wanted to pass on my experience with this shop and the Gear install for anyone looking to do the same. Parts installed were Strange 3.42 gears for 2 series differential, Ratech Deluxe install kit (for rear end rebuild), and TA rear diff cover.

Stage 1 is located on Rt 23N in Pompton Plains, NJ. I looked around at a number of shops as far as an hour away before deciding on this one. I must admit that one main factor in choosing this place is that it is only a few miles from where I work. The shop itself is small and is fairly clean and organized on the inside. When I first stopped by there orignally they had a Buick GS they were working on. There was a Grand National in the shop when I dropped my car off, and a '71 skylark there when I picked mine up.

The guy I talked to there was Geoff. Very polite and straight forward, but not in any way pushy. Apparently he's been doing gear installs among other things for a while and talked me though the procedure. The way he spouted off the steps I could've sworn he could do it in his sleep.

He said it would take between 5-6 hours to do and the labor rate was $65/hour. Once I got my parts in I called and they were able to make an appointment for the next day. I dropped my car off on the way in to work and picked it up after work the same day.

I was charged for 5 hours labor and the obligatory $2 for waste disposal. Total was $327 before tax.

Just got the car back so I haven't been on it hard at all. Everyone worries about gear wine. I might have heard the slightest hint at 55mph, but my hearing is darn good and I was trying my darndest. TA cover looks awesome and I'm just to finish my break-in period.

To sum it up...I whole heartedly recommend Stage 1. If you're in Northern NJ and need a gear install. I had some trepedation originally, but I really couldn't have had a better experience!

If you're near the Wayne, NJ area and want a gear install, you'd be doing yourself wrong by not at least stopping by to talk to them.
    Joe K.
    '11 BMW 328i
    '10 Matrix S AWD
    Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Ok...I know the post looks screwy, but I tried to edit it but for some reason the board won't let me....so just deal for right
    now, k?

Joe K.
    '11 BMW 328i
    '10 Matrix S AWD
    Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

That is odd... I tried to edit the post and it didn't work the first time. It took the 2nd attempt.

Comment

Sounds like you found a decent shop.......very important when doing gears for sure!!

did they include recalibrating the PCM for the new ratio??
        95 Z28, A4, 3.23's and some other stuff....

Comment

Thanks for the feedback on Stage 1. I get a lot of requests for recommendations on gear installs and other work in NJ, and I'll add them to my list. A buddy of mine used Bontempo in Linden for a while, until he got a bad install. Recently another friend uncovered a shop in Manville that specializes in Buick Turbo's, and did a great job on a rebuild of the TH400 in his 79 T/A.

Reliable shops are hard to find.

On the Ratech kit, did it include the solid spacer that eliminates the crush sleeve?
          Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Hey Fred...one of those requests was mine!

They didn't include reprogramming the pcm for the gears, but honestly I didn't ask them about it at all. I used my programmer for that.

Now that I've been driving a bit there is a slight wine at about 45 mph. I never expected them to be perfectly quiet though. Oh, btw I used redline gear lube...apparently it already has the limited slip lube in it, so that save a couple of bucks there.
            Joe K.
            '11 BMW 328i
            '10 Matrix S AWD

Comment

Originally posted by Joe K. 96 Zeee!!
              Hey Fred...one of those requests was mine!

They didn't include reprogramming the pcm for the gears, but honestly I didn't ask them about it at all. I used my programmer for that.

Now that I've been driving a bit there is a slight wine at about 45 mph. I never expected them to be perfectly quiet though. Oh, btw I used redline gear lube...apparently it already has the limited slip lube in it, so that save a couple of bucks there.
              A few other things contribute to noise as well. Aluminum driveshafts don't dampen energy as much as cast iron or steel. The softer factory control arm bushings dampen vibrations as well. Poly/harder rubber bushings will transmit more noise. I have tubular lower control arms with one poly and one rubber bushing, double adjustable panhard rod with poly bushings and an aluminum driveshaft. With these mods I can detect the whine at a few different speeds, but like you said, I never expected it to be totally quiet. It is a small price to pay for increased performance. I would imagine my gears would be relatively quiet with standard bushings and driveshaft. I do wish the rear end housing were a little beefier. That would quiet these down dramatically.

Comment

didnt realize u were going with 3:42's.....they dont whine that bad, even with a fairly loose set up.

sounds like you did good.

for future reference to anyone here, there is a shop in MD called F Body Central. Jason, the owner, has installed literaly tons of f body gears... he'll do it for less than 200.00. they have a web site online. they did my 4:10's 4 years ago....... still chuggin hard, no whines......gm gears though.

kenC

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
                Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
                sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

I went with 3.42's because the car is my daily driver. I've heard of the driveshaft vibration that may be caused by 3.73's. Also from talking with peope that have switched from the 3.42 to 3.73, I found that performance gain is nil in the 1/4 mile.
                  Joe K.
                  '11 BMW 328i
                  '10 Matrix S AWD

Comment

Working...
                  X