What oil to use???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What oil to use???

I know that im going to use mobil 1 oil thats all I have ever used. But my problem is Im not really sure which weight to use. I dont really know much about the LS1 motors yet but im learning. but on all my other 350 motors i used 10w-30. What do you all recommend?

99 T/A WS-6
    SLP strut tower brace, SLP sub-frame connectors, SLP intake, SLP Loudmouth exhaust, shift kit, SLP suspension system, SLP y-pipe
    2004 Mineral Gray Mustang Mach1 (stock, but ordering the SLP Loudmouth)
    88 IROC-Z, ZZ430 CRATE MOTOR, Flowmaster exhaust, MOSER 12-bolt with gears, and a few other mods.

the owners mannual is there for a reason. follow it broh.

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
    Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
    sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

thats one of the reasons im asking. the manual is missing. They lost it before i got the car.

99 T/A WS-6
      SLP strut tower brace, SLP sub-frame connectors, SLP intake, SLP Loudmouth exhaust, shift kit, SLP suspension system, SLP y-pipe
      88 IROC-Z, ZZ430 CRATE MOTOR, Flowmaster exhaust, MOSER 12-bolt with gears, and a few other mods.

Comment

These modern new engines, even the V-8 have pretty close tolerances so GM recommends 5W-30. There are still some older engines like the 3800 that still call for 10W-30.
        But as your owner's manual will state you can use other weights depending on the temperture. Oviously you'll want to use a lighter weight for colder and heavier for hot seasons.
        But with modern multivisosity oils 5W-30 is more than enough for anything but the most extreme tempeture ranges.
        I see Mobil1 hase come out with 0W-40 weight sythetic oil. This weight should cover those very extremes.
        LT4KM, 160' TS, MAF ends, TB-bs, 1.6 R/R, SLP CAI, LCA, tierod, 17x9"F/R, 275/40R17 tires. WS6 Muffler, LS1 DS. 21mm rear sway bar. Soon to be LT4 heads, intake, & HOT cam

Comment

Here's a link with a whole lotta info including your owner's manual....

http://www.csce.uark.edu/~jgbertr/rb/4th_gen_tech1.html
          Joe K.
          '11 BMW 328i
          '10 Matrix S AWD
          Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

thanks for the info joe k. Appriciate everyone inputs.

99 T/A WS-6

Comment

Oil

Hi there, since I got my Camaro with about 46000miles on it, I've been putting synthetic 10w30 while GM clearly recommends 5w30. I thought that GM recommended the last viscosity due to 4 season climate since the car is "canadian". It was ordered and bought in Canada when new. But since reading this thread , Im am less sure of my evaluation. 5w30 is thinner when cold. My question: will my change of grade deteriorate my engine? I'm a bit confused. And is the change from "real" oil to synthetic bad for the engine? Experts, please speak now...Thanks p.s

Comment

While regular oil is adequate for most situations, synthetic does provide superior protection. As for what weight to get, your owner's manual lists recommended weights depending on outside temperature. I'm not familiar with 305's so I can't say much more than that. The 5w-30 your hearing about is recommended for LT-1 engines in 93 and later cars.
                Joe K.
                '11 BMW 328i
                '10 Matrix S AWD
                Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

I ran 5W-30 Mobil 1 in my Firehawk religiously for the first 25k...and suffered through an annoying (but not REAL bad) oil consumption problem...switched over to Mobil 1 10W-30, and greatly reduced the consumption.

Try 5W-30, see if it takes any oil. If it does, try 10W-30.

Oh, and see if you can get a copy of an owner's manual...its worth the effort, trust me...

Byrdman

Comment

5W-30 in the winter
                    10W-30 in the summer.

both my birds have been on that diet since day 1.

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
                    Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
                    sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Alright, thanks a lot guys. I have the original owner's manual and read it religiously...It does point different grades/weight depending on temperature. With the 10/30, it consumes very little oil. Average 6000 km (metric in Canada, sorry: about 4500 miles) a year. Nevers runs in winter due to the tons of salt they spread on canadian roads. Stored on jackstands, engine idle for 20 min. a month to keep the battery charge up to par. Thanks ! Other comments welcomed

Comment

Sounds like you're treating it right! Not too many 3rd gens in good shape as there used to be. Have any pics?
                        Joe K.
                        '11 BMW 328i
                        '10 Matrix S AWD

Comment

OIL

thanks for everyones inputs. By the way I ordered my owners mannual yesterday. So that should help with a lot.

99 T/A WS-6

Comment

Pics

It's true, in Canada, at least in the greater Montreal area, there isn't much F-body around, at least from the 3rd gen.. When I see 3rd gen., often they're pretty roughed up or rusted. Mine,s an '88 with 76 000km (about 47 500 miles) no rust, first owner was a non-smoker woman, interior immaculate. Black exterior with red std. interior, t-top. Will try my best to post a pic asap. Summer/winter, my Cam is garaged. Was bought in July '02 with all docs. Copy of the original purchase contract. Thanks. So I guess, using synth. ain't bad or switching grade. Keep it up, CDH

Comment

Working...
                            X