OPTI question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OPTI question

If you unplug the OPTI, will the coil still put out voltage?
    2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

No, because the coil must recieve a signal from the PCM. The PCM gets its reference from the Optispark.
    96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
    11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

I was reading your post below and it made me think. About a month ago, my car wouldn't start. I had it towed to the dealership. They called me and said it wasn't getting a spark and that either the coil or the ignition module was bad. They replaced both and it fired up. It ran for about a half an hour before it died again. This time it was showing a low and a high pulse error meaning the OPTI signal wasn't making it to the PCM. They pulled the OPTI and found the plug on the wire to the OPTI and the OPTI socket was corroded. Now because of you comment in the other post and yours above, I'm wondering if the coil and module were bad at all and the whole problem was the corrosion. Another words I was charged with a repair that wasn't needed.
      2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

Comment

Oh, were you talking about umplugging the big coil wire from the Opti to the coil or the 4 wire connector at the opti? Unplugging the 4 wire connector would cause a non firing coil. If you unplug the big (spark plug wire) wire from the coil to the opti, its like unplugging any coil wire - the coil fires, but it doesnt make it to the optispark.

It indeed sounds like they misdiagnosed it. When they replaced the coil they probably moved the coil wire enough to jiggle the connection at the opti. Half hour later, it stopped again. Did you save the old parts? You could check the coil and the ICM.
        96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle

Comment

The 4 wire plug. I'm thinking the same thing.

No, I don't have any of the parts. Normally I ask for them but I was so discussed this time, I was just happy to have the car back running.

Comment

Bummer, take it as lesson learned I guess. I am not a big fan of the dealer.

Comment

Working...
            X