t-56 swap.. HELP!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• t-56 swap.. HELP!

Before you read my story, know that any help and / or suggestions are MUCH appreciated, i've spent all summer on my tranny, and just want to get it finished before I have to store the poor thing again... heres what's going on, after blowing my t-5.

Well.. I've finally found all my parts, got the tranny, bellhousing, pedal assmbly, clutch, fabbed crossmember and all the goodies... i got my flywheel as my LAST piece and it does not fit!

I've tried the old (pre 86) flywheel with the mushroom bolt pattern thingey, and the new one from the 94 'trans am that the one i currently have, and neither of them work...

Everyone thats done it and all the walkthroughs say the flywheel that came with the tranny (LT1 flywheel) just fits into place upon doing the swap and its not... the bolt pattern is way too small! so i tried the old style (mushroomed crank) flywheel and it seems to fit a bit better (still dosn't though), but there isn't the big bevel / lip for the pressure plate. Does anyone make flywheels for people in my situation? I've tried calling centerforce, GM dealers, auto-wreckers, local "know-it'-alls" and nobody has anything to say that can help. any help is much apprecaited.

I'm pretty sure its not a 400.. I mean, i didn't line up the numbers, but I bought the 350 from some guy in a local buy and sell (haha, wouldn't that be a nice surprise?), i verified the LT1 flywheel with the part number, so i'm sure it's the right one and the other older pre 86 had the mushroom type crank fit on it, (as i could see from the wear), and they absolutely did not fit at the crank...

I havn't done many tranny swaps, but what would i be looking for if i was to compare it to a 400 from a 350? apparantly 400's have an 8" balancer? does anyone have a picture showing the diffrence if that's the situation?

I'm so lost here!

thanks for your time!!
    '83 Z28 Camaro. 350/325HP, 3:73's, comp.cam, hedman headers, 650 carter carb, 1 inch spacer, edelbrock performer, K&N, 3" flowmaster, t-tops, 18" Torq thrust-II's and a big bad 4" cowl.

This probably won't help but here they put a T56 in a 92.
    http://www.drivetrain.com/gmt56inst.html
    2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Here's another one.
      http://www.skulte.com/T56.html
      2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Thanks! but Yeah, i pretty much used the skulte one to install it sofar... but what i meant was a picture of the 8" balancer, anyone have a picture of that? or any other ideas of what could be going wrong in my situation?
        '83 Z28 Camaro. 350/325HP, 3:73's, comp.cam, hedman headers, 650 carter carb, 1 inch spacer, edelbrock performer, K&N, 3" flowmaster, t-tops, 18" Torq thrust-II's and a big bad 4" cowl.

Comment

Working...
        X