Air conditioner problem???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air conditioner problem???

I went out to eat this evening and took the Trans Am, shes been in the garage for a few weeks due to all the rain so i was glad to get it out.I drove about 15 miles air conditioner worked fine.I ate dinner,came out and took off and no cold air, it was only blowing hot humid air.I put it in neutral and turned the air on to see if the compressor was coming on and i could see the rpms drop after i turned it on so i assumed the compressor was working.I figured it was just low on freon so i started home, about 5 miles home she started blowing ice cold air again and kept doing so.I let it idle when i got home and let the ac run while i cleaned up the car.The ac worked flawless for another 15-20 minutes.The motor idled smooth and i heard no unusual noioses or anything.I even turned it on and off a few times to see if i could get it to stop again but it continued working fine.I also checked and both cooling fans are working(someone told me that if one of them stopped it could cause that so that isnt a problem.If anyone has experienced this or has an idea let me know.Its working but i have a trip coming up and if i need to do something i want to be sure its ok before i go.
    95 trans am, golen engine 383 ,140k,6spd, procharger 12psi supercharger,racetronix fuel pump, 58mm BBK throttlebody,hooker long tubes,crane HI6-DSR ignition box,crane ps-92 ignition coil ,true duals, 60lb injectors,3.73 GM gears,csr electric water pump,edelbrock strut tower brace,descreened maf,ls1 aluminum drive shaft,centerforce clutch,accel extreme heat wires,lt4 knock sensor,autolite 104s ,hurst short throw shifter,8-01-05- 02 frt end and taillights,ws6 rims,shiny black paint job!!.

My car started doing that just before the air quit for good and it was the clutch on the compressor. The clutch will engage but it will slip, and eventually engage fully. Mine has now stopped working altogether, but I have a new compressor in the garage for it.
    "No, officer, that bottle is my onboard Halon system"

Comment

Mine is has done almost the exact same thing. It was working intermittently then it stopped altogether. It seems like the compressor dosen't engage at all. I was thinking that I had a loose wire or something (this happened on my 240sx) but this post has me thinking it might be the clutch. Can I test it somehow? Can you replace the clutch or do you have to replace the whole compressor? How much do those run? I'm dying in this FL heat without my AC. Any help would be greatly apreciated. Thanks

96 Z28 A4, K&N CAI, 3.42 gears, Exhaust Cut Out. Best ET 14.02 -R.I.P. 95 Formula-

Comment

THis happened to me, it was the clutch and bearing.. but bearing was making a terrible noise! Looks like its just your clutch
        Screaming Mad
        Car: 1994 Camaro, 3.4l V6
        Pace Setter headers & Y pipe, Flowmaster Z28 exhaust, K&N cone filter. modded 4l60e, trans cooler, strut brace, Eibach pro-kit
        0-60 7.74
        1/4 16.52 @ 85.3

Bike: Suzuki GSXR K4 600, K&N filter,Rizla kit, R&G bobbins, Db screen, LED indicators

Comment

I found a rebuilt clutch assembly at Advance Auto Parts for about $110.00. So I'll probably end up getting that. I'd like to make sure that's what the problem is before I go out and buy it though so I'll check all the electrical connections first. It really sounds like the clutch but I don't want to spend the money if I don't have to. Also how hard is it to change? Looks like I just need remove the serpentine, disconnect the wires, unbolt the old one, and bolt the new one in. Are there any special tools I need or will it come off with a regular socket? I just don't want to get it apart and then find out then that I need some tools ya know. I haven't worked on the AC before so any help will be greatly apreciated. Thanks again guys.....Later

96 Z28 A4, K&N CAI, 3.42 gears, Exhaust Cut Out. Best ET 14.02 -R.I.P. 95 Formula-

Comment

Knock on wood, the ac has worked flawlessly since i posted.I have also heard it could be a faulty AC pressure cycle switch???They dont cost too much so i was thinking of replacing it just to see what happened.
            95 trans am, golen engine 383 ,140k,6spd, procharger 12psi supercharger,racetronix fuel pump, 58mm BBK throttlebody,hooker long tubes,crane HI6-DSR ignition box,crane ps-92 ignition coil ,true duals, 60lb injectors,3.73 GM gears,csr electric water pump,edelbrock strut tower brace,descreened maf,ls1 aluminum drive shaft,centerforce clutch,accel extreme heat wires,lt4 knock sensor,autolite 104s ,hurst short throw shifter,8-01-05- 02 frt end and taillights,ws6 rims,shiny black paint job!!.

Comment

Me too.

Well, I've had the same kind of problems and I haven't been able to figure it out.

On Monday, the AC started cutting out intermittently. At first I thought it might be low on freon. By the end of the week, it stopped working entirely. My first thought was to add freon, however it wouldn't take any and the pressure in the system seemed good. However, the compressor won't come on. My first instinct says clutch or compressor, but I wired it to the battery directly, and both seem to be working. So then I tested the cycle switch and the switch in the dash. The switch in the dash has power on all three leads and the cycle switch has power on one of three leads. No matter what I do I can't get any power to register at the connector that plugs into the compressor. I even jumped across the cycle switch with no affect.

Anybody have any ideas? Help!! It's hot in Houston in a black Z28.

Rudi

Comment

Working...
              X