Question about Auto Xray

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about Auto Xray

I'm was looking into buying an LT1 Scanmaster, but I'm wondering if I should get something like the Auto Xray. The reason being I have a '00 S-10 and my wife has a '00 Cherokee. I think I'd be able to use the Xray on these too. I was looking on Ebay for these and there are a few different models. I'm not sure exactly what I would need. I want to be able to read codes on my car and trucks, and also view all sensor data. Anyone have any recommendations? I think I need either the Auto Xray EZ Read 2000 or the EZ Scan 5000. I want to make sure I purchase the right one for what I need.

Thanks,

Andy
    '94 Formula M6, XE224/230 w/1.6 RR's, hardened pushrods, Comp R lifters, SLP ceramic coated shorties, Random Tech cat., Flowmaster cat-back, CSI water pump, vented opti, PCM tuning by Spraytheway, BMR k-member, SFC's, DSL, LCA's & brackets, adj. PHR
    339 RWHP, 341 RWTQ
    '00 S-10 ZR2

The ScanMaster is LT1 specific. It will read codes and sensors on OBD-I LT1's (92-95) and sensors only, no codes on OBD-II LT1's (96/97). It will not work on other vehicles or other engines.

The low $$$ Auto Xray for your 94 will be OBD-I specific. That means it isn't going to work on anything newer than 95 GM products. There is a "crossover" Auto Xray unit available (EZ Scan 6000) that allows you to use cartridges or software to handle both OBD-I and OBD-II. But that's a $700 (list) piece of equipment. EZ Scan 5000 seems similar, foro $530 (list).

The EZ Read 2000 appears to read "codes" only.

Go to the Auto Xray website and look over the specs for the various scanners, and the vehicles they can scan.

Auto Xray
    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Fred, would you get the 5000 or the 6000? I'm not seeing what the real difference is or if it's worth the price difference. Thanks.

Andy
      '94 Formula M6, XE224/230 w/1.6 RR's, hardened pushrods, Comp R lifters, SLP ceramic coated shorties, Random Tech cat., Flowmaster cat-back, CSI water pump, vented opti, PCM tuning by Spraytheway, BMR k-member, SFC's, DSL, LCA's & brackets, adj. PHR
      339 RWHP, 341 RWTQ
      '00 S-10 ZR2

Comment

The Auto X-ray will allow you to view codes and look at some sensor information but it's in 1 second increments so it's not real detailed. I bought a used one off Ebay to check my old 93 Z28 to make sure it wasn't running too lean with the supercharger and my O2 readings were nice and rich under WOT so I had no use for it and sold it. I wouldn't go and buy one unless you have a problem with a vehicle. Or do like I did and get one off Ebay, check your vehicles and then resell it if you don't need it.
        69 Z28 with JL8 factory 4 wheel disc brakes, crossram, transistor ignition, radio delete, heater delete - being restored
        70 SS 396 L78 documented, #'s matching
        2000 SS Camaro daily beater

Comment

Which Auto Xray did you have?

Andy
          339 RWHP, 341 RWTQ
          '00 S-10 ZR2

Comment

The XP240 which reads the OBDI vehicles.
            69 Z28 with JL8 factory 4 wheel disc brakes, crossram, transistor ignition, radio delete, heater delete - being restored
            70 SS 396 L78 documented, #'s matching
            2000 SS Camaro daily beater

Comment

I don't know the specific differences, but I don't think you can compare the EZ-SCAN 6000 or 5000 with the simple OBD-I scanner that Jeff has used. Completely different.

The main difference between the 5000 and the 6000 appears to be the level of data they can read. The 5000 says "OBD-II Generic".... and that is a limited amount of data, at least if they are using the same terminology that AutoTap uses. The 6000 says, in addition to OBD-II Generic, "OBD-II Enhanced". I know that with the AutoTap software, where you might be able to read 30 or 40 parameters with the "generic" version, you can read hundreds of parameters with the "enhanced" version.

You might want to look at the AutoTap website, to see the difference between "generic" and "enhanced", and then ask Auto Xray if they use the same definition. Of course, AutoTap will not work with your OBD-I car, but I am pointing out the definitions they list for parameters, not suggesting that you should buy an AutoTap.

AutoTap "generic" vs. "enhanced" parameters
              Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Working...
              X