IAT unplugged, no SES light

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IAT unplugged, no SES light

Shouldn't I get an SES light if I unplug the IAT sensor from the intake elbow? I did this because I'm trying to find a problem with my car and I thought it was kind of strange that it didn't trip the light.

Andy
    '94 Formula M6, XE224/230 w/1.6 RR's, hardened pushrods, Comp R lifters, SLP ceramic coated shorties, Random Tech cat., Flowmaster cat-back, CSI water pump, vented opti, PCM tuning by Spraytheway, BMR k-member, SFC's, DSL, LCA's & brackets, adj. PHR
    339 RWHP, 341 RWTQ
    '00 S-10 ZR2

It sets a code, but not all codes light the SES light. The IAT sensor is of very limited value to the 94 mass-air PCM, at least until it "defaults" to "speed-density" when the MAF sensor fails. But normally, the IAT does little except affect ignition timing slightly under elevated temperature conditions, so they might not consider it critical enough to light the SES light. Its a perfomance issue, and the SES light is more concerned with emissions issues.

Also, by "unplug the sensor from the elbow"... did you just pull the sensor out of the elbow, and leave the harness wire connected to the sensor? That won't even set a code. Eventually, the air leak through the sensor mounting hole might be enough to trip a "lean" code for the low load long term fuel corrections, but it takes time for that to happen.
    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

I left the sensor in the elbow, I only unplugged the harness from the sensor. Thanks again Fred!
      '94 Formula M6, XE224/230 w/1.6 RR's, hardened pushrods, Comp R lifters, SLP ceramic coated shorties, Random Tech cat., Flowmaster cat-back, CSI water pump, vented opti, PCM tuning by Spraytheway, BMR k-member, SFC's, DSL, LCA's & brackets, adj. PHR
      339 RWHP, 341 RWTQ
      '00 S-10 ZR2

Comment

Working...
      X