what should i do first

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what should i do first

well i jsut got my 94 z28 only down side is its a auto do they make shift kits/ stall kits for it and what is the best brand

Yes, they make shift kits for it, and higher stall converters. TransGo is a popular brand for shift kits, I'd have to let somebody else speak about converters. But you asked what you should do first, and I don't think that's one of them. Assuming the car is stock, your first mods should be a cat-back exhaust and cold-air intake. There are many brands for each, and what you get will depend heavily on what you can afford. Borla, SLP, and Flowmaster are all popular exhausts, but there are many others. SLP, Mororso, K&N are among the air intakes, but again, there are others.

Assuming your tranny is the original stock unit, I wouldn't mess with shift kits or stall converters until the tranny needs rebuilt anyway. It probably won't be long, unless you have an unusually low mileage car, and it will save you the hassle and cost of messing with the tranny twice. Once you've done intake and exhaust, I would recommend beefing up the suspension or swapping gears.
    Dave M
    Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Comment

What Dave said is probobly the best way to go. Youll find that with all that stuff, adn especially a higher gear ratio your ride will really wake up. Dont forget about a nice set of headers, adn y-pipe too
      -Dan

1986 350 TPI Trans Am, 700R-4, Flowmaster exhaust, CAI, 180* t/stat, low temp fan switch, SFC's....Sold.

Project Status: LT1 disassembled, researching costs, searching for project car.

Comment

For an older LT1 car like that, eBay and the net are very good friends.

Used cold air intakes are a dime a dozen, and places like speedinc.com can get you into stainless catbacks for under $350. LT1 cars are really choked very badly.

Ironically even summit sells SLP catbacks cheaper than SLP itself. So shop around.

Far as the shift kit goes, I put a B&M into my 93', which was before the electronic controls. I musta had really good luck because that shift kit was in there from 30k miles to when I sold the car at 150k miles, and I betcha I put 5000 1-2 barks on it, though I did eat a couple transmounts, and by the end my u-joints were sloppy. Transgo's are generally regarded as the way to go, though.

I think having only 245's on the car probably helped.

Z28's can have either 2.73 or 3.23 gears. Chances are pretty high you have 2.73's. 3.23's won't make the car tons faster at the track - but they will make the car ALOT more lively around town and punching it.

I have a 00 LS1 now and the shift kit is prolly the thing I miss most. Stock feels so sloppy...

Comment

Working...
        X