Replacing the engine...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing the engine...

I was considering buying an engine package from LPE (this one, to be exact http://www.lingenfelter.com/pack_cf1998_350.htm), and I was just wondering if anyone else here has done the same thing. Was it a pain to go through with, were you satisfied with the results, do you regret doing it for any reason, etc. Thanks.

thats a pretty sweet deal man, 420bhp for $6800 when the stock ls1 goes for $6000 new with 320hp. all i can say is u dont have to take apart the whole suspension to put the motor in.... i was able to get it out the top just take off the radiator and accesories and the intake and pull it out at an angle. why are u replacing the motor u have now?
    1967 Camaro "Project"
    1972 Chevelle "454"
    1979 Trans Am "Project Ls-1"

Comment

What car are you going to put this in? You apparently already own an LS1, since the price is not for a complete new engine. They take out your current LS1 engine, do the mods listed, then reinstall it.

I'd question whether what they are doing is worth almost $7,000.
      Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Originally posted by Injuneer
        What car are you going to put this in? You apparently already own an LS1, since the price is not for a complete new engine. They take out your current LS1 engine, do the mods listed, then reinstall it.

I'd question whether what they are doing is worth almost $7,000.

ok maybe i didnt read the whole thing but if they want ur motor as a core and still charge u $6800....then thats crazy dont even waste ur time or money.
        1967 Camaro "Project"
        1972 Chevelle "454"
        1979 Trans Am "Project Ls-1"

Comment

Itd probobly be better if we at least knew what kind of car he was driving, and why he would want to spend that much money on stuff he could probobly do for cheaper, post back on here man and let us have some more info!
          -Dan

1986 350 TPI Trans Am, 700R-4, Flowmaster exhaust, CAI, 180* t/stat, low temp fan switch, SFC's....Sold.

Project Status: LT1 disassembled, researching costs, searching for project car.

Comment

Lingenfelter = Hideously overcharging.

Comment

Does that say that the LS1 is a 350ci? Do they bore it or something?
              Red 95 Trans Am: M6, Moroso CAI, Magnaflow, Spohn sway bars, back to life as of 2/15/10!!!
              SOLD- Kinda miss it
              94 Del Sol VTEC: 27 city/ 33 highway, knee deep in slowness
              SOLD- Good riddance!
              2006 Ford Fusion: 2.3, 5 speed, could run 15lbs of boost with a 150 shot and it'd still be slow

Comment

If you were to pull and reinstall the heads and cam yourself and you could do everything they describe on that page for a quarter of that price. You're getting the heads ported and polished, new cam, new valves and springs/retainers, cold air intake, borla exhaust, and ported TB and intake. The only thing you could do/get yourself is the warranty.

You could get the heads and valves done for, I'm gonna guess $500. A cam and associated hardware might run you $200. The cold air intake, exhaust, TB, and intake might run you $1,000 if you're willing to forgo the Borla, maybe a little more if you're not. Throw in the injectors and driveshaft that's in their fine print at the bottom and that might be another $400. A dyno run and tuning could run you $200. So, if you're willing and able to do the removal/installation yourself, you could have everything they'd do to your engine, including the stuff in the fine print, for roughly $2,500, probably less if you could find some used parts like Cold air intake, TB, intake, etc.
                Dave M
                Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Comment

Working...
                X