brake low pressure light on

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brake low pressure light on

a friend of mine has a 96 ta which has just had the diff bearings replaced now he has a warning light up on the dash the red caution light next the the park brake light the hand book says it is low brake pressure but the brakes work fine and the peddle is find any ideas ?
    http://www.pontiacdriversclub.co.uk/ keeping it pontiac in the the uk. 93 formula a4 ZR1 rims
    C A I , B M R torque arm lower arms panhard rod and sub frame conectors borla adjustble with Q T P valve and no cat WHAT NEXT ?

big burn out movie nats 2003 burn out contest
    mirror burn out movie top ten burn outs

I'm not sure if the 96 TA is the same as my 94 Formula, but there is only one "BRAKE" light on the dash. That light comes on for two purposes - 1) to indicate the emergency brake is on, and 2) to indicate that the brake differential switch on the side of the ABS unit has activated. This switch turns on the light when it senses a differential in pressure between the front and rear braking systems. This difference in pressure could be caused by air in the lines, a leaking component, a faulty master cylinder, low fluid in in circuit, etc.

Did you do anything to the brakes when you were working on the axles? Open the system at all? Possibly damage the hose?

The light does not necessarily mean there is a total pressure failure of one of the systems, only that one of the system has a significantly lower pressure than the other. The vehicle may appear to be braking normally, but may not actually be worknig at 100% capacity. That might leave you short of braking power on a very hard stop.
    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Originally posted by Injuneer
      I'm not sure if the 96 TA is the same as my 94 Formula, but there is only one "BRAKE" light on the dash. That light comes on for two purposes - 1) to indicate the emergency brake is on, and 2) to indicate that the brake differential switch on the side of the ABS unit has activated. This switch turns on the light when it senses a differential in pressure between the front and rear braking systems. This difference in pressure could be caused by air in the lines, a leaking component, a faulty master cylinder, low fluid in in circuit, etc.

Did you do anything to the brakes when you were working on the axles? Open the system at all? Possibly damage the hose?

The light does not necessarily mean there is a total pressure failure of one of the systems, only that one of the system has a significantly lower pressure than the other. The vehicle may appear to be braking normally, but may not actually be worknig at 100% capacity. That might leave you short of braking power on a very hard stop.
      Could they have done something different like change the dash light or added something since his car is a European car?

Isn't there a switch at the bottom of the brake pedal that will light that light if the brake pedal goes too far down? I'm pretty sure there is. Could it be stuck or broken?
      2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

injuneer, my light is one, and it isnt my e-brake, how do i go about testing to see what it is, also my abs inop light is on, and my low coolant but my coolant is full. Where can i go to find the answer to fix all of these?
        1995 LT1 bird
        10" 2800 stall coan converter,beefed tranny, supreme shift,motive 373 gears,3 inch catback with a flowmaster muffler, pcmforless tuned,slp cold air intake,tb bypassed, better flowing intake elbow, air foil,poly trans mount.
        275/40/17 Nitto NT555R extreme drags in rear

2005 Dode SRT-4
        agp billet adjustable wastegate,Maxxfab 3 inch catless downpipe, borla catback ,K&N drop in filter,mapclamped,tuned,mopar blow off valve, Prothane motor mount inserts,21 pounds of boost!
        6 dics cd changer, 10 inch MTX fully loaded with moonroof and viper style seats

Comment

Originally posted by DetroitLT1
          injuneer, my light is one, and it isnt my e-brake, how do i go about testing to see what it is, also my abs inop light is on, and my low coolant but my coolant is full. Where can i go to find the answer to fix all of these?
          I'm not sure what year car you have but here is a good source for 4th gen stuff. http://shbox.com/page/index.html . Go to the "tech page" and click on "how to's". I know the low coolant fix is there. Make sure you thank Shoebox for his fantastic site.
          2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

I have a 95 LT1 car
            1995 LT1 bird
            10" 2800 stall coan converter,beefed tranny, supreme shift,motive 373 gears,3 inch catback with a flowmaster muffler, pcmforless tuned,slp cold air intake,tb bypassed, better flowing intake elbow, air foil,poly trans mount.

2005 Dode SRT-4
            agp billet adjustable wastegate,Maxxfab 3 inch catless downpipe, borla catback ,K&N drop in filter,mapclamped,tuned,mopar blow off valve, Prothane motor mount inserts,21 pounds of boost!

Comment

Originally posted by DetroitLT1
              I have a 95 LT1 car
              Then why not add a "signature" with that info, along with any major mods? That way people can answer your questions accurately.
              Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

i have that, just not the type of car, ill update it right now
                1995 LT1 bird

2005 Dode SRT-4

Comment

Working...
                X