headers and k-member vibration

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• headers and k-member vibration

I've been reading up quite a bit on cz28.com regarding how many people installed headers, didn't replace the motor mounts, and ended up having vibrations at idle and low speeds...the header was vibrating against the k-member. This seems to be common for long tubes. But I'm experiencing the same thing with my SLPs..which are a bit longer than real shorties, but not even close to long tubes. It looks like theres a gap between the header and k-member (about 1"), but it still vibrates, when the tranny is in "Drive". In neutral it's fine. Is there any other way around this, besides replacing the motor mounts, or grinding down the k-member?
    If I need to replace the mounts, how hard would it be without removal of the headers. Thanks in advance.
    94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

could it just be vibaration from the trans mount?What kind do u have? I know my poly one gives crazy vibrations, and my open cutout didnt help either. idk tho
    -Lou -

1997 30th Anniversary Firebird Formula

Comment

I'm 100% sure it's not the tranny mount. It's the header because it's a violent rattle that happened as soon as I installed them. I'm putting up with it, but just getting ideas on what to do.
      I noticed the poly tranny mount does cause more vibrations but it happens on freeway speeds for me. Plus, removing the plate that ES gives helped dampen the vibration quite a bit.
      94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

OK, I'm an idiot. I was caught up in believing it was the driver's side header, but it turned out to be the passenger's side header flange. It was resting right on it, causing the vibration. I moved and re-installed it, but haven't tested it yet. I'm 99.9% sure that was the cause.

Comment

Originally posted by Craig 94 TA GT
          OK, I'm an idiot. I was caught up in believing it was the driver's side header, but it turned out to be the passenger's side header flange. It was resting right on it, causing the vibration. I moved and re-installed it, but haven't tested it yet. I'm 99.9% sure that was the cause.
          Oh way to go there genius! lol j/k

Guess we'll have to test it out in about an hour, won't we?
          Steve
          79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
          87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
          93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
          http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

Working...
          X