Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jeanius
    Meaning, Ive heard that 91 octane fuel burns slower than 87 and 89
    No.... octane has nothing to do with how fast the fuel burns. Its a measure of what compounds form in the intake charge when it is subjected to high temperature and pressure, and the tendancy of those compounds to autoignite. Octane also does not have anything to do with the energy content of the fuel. Some of the hydrocarbons used to increase octane may reduce the specific gravity of the fuel, presenting some issues in carbed engines, but generally not in fuel injected engines with closed loop controls. But its possible to get extremely high octane (117 motor octane) fuels that are also very dense and hvaing very high specific energy content.... something like VP Fuels C16.
    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Thanks for the feed back guys, I'm just going to bite the bullet and run 93+. I figure if I can afford to run Royal Purple I can afford the good gas. And BTW if anyone wants cheap octane booster I found some O'Reillys, if you buy over 3 bottles you only pay a dollar bottle but I doubt this stuff has any real strength. On a different note I find it funny when I was young and stupid (senior in HS) all I did was run 87 in my car. I remember when I ran my tank down real low and filled it up with 93, even the tone in exhaust changed.
      1995 Camaro Z28 Convertible.

Comment

Several years ago, I used to take the T/A to the track on 89 octane. I wasn't smart back then, but I didn't notice a difference and had no pinging, no problems. Maybe it was a tiny bit slower, but there was 0 knock.
        94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

Working...
        X