When is it time to say enough is enough

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When is it time to say enough is enough

Gonna vent a little. Last fall/winter my car was running ruff and it was running like that since I bought it. At the time I didnt know how it was supost to run being my first car I just said hey its a muscle car.

However time went on and it just got worse I had to fill up once a week and I worked like 10-15 bocks from my work and found out I was getting 9mpg. Took it in the same shop I took it into b4 I bougth the car to get it checked out (at the time they said it was ok to buy no probs) now they kept on going on about a vibration. To cut a long story short(er) I ended up spending 3 grand on parts and labour in 2 diff. garages. Replaced was spark plugs, wires, opti, waterpump, and had 8 injectors tested, 4 had to be rebuilt. I also got my compression tested in the 160's with a total of spread of 5psi over 8 cylinders.

So its april now and my car runs smoother (still a varry slight minnor vibration but not even close to what it was. Its been constant from then till about mid week this week. We got hit in the hurricane on tue-wens. Light rains hardly no wind but rained for 13 hours +. I drove for a total of 30 mins in it at the start and end of it. Since then my car is so ruff its not funny. I know from you guys and my experiance that its going to be wires or opti but there is no way I can afford to keep replaceing the opti every year, its insane.

I can't believe the leading car manufacture would mass produce a car that cant be driven in the rain to overcome not having to deal with this problem ever year.

Do you guys have any advice for me to keep my opti/car running better for longer? I take real nice care of her and dont abuse it. Also what time is it time to say the fun I get from it is too much of a money pit and I should sell it.

Thanks
    94 Formula Firebird, 355, heads port and polished, cc503 cam, 30# injectors, PCMforless Tune, B&M 2400 stall, K&N CAI, BBK Sorty Headers, Magnaflow Highflow Cat, Borla Catback exhaust with electronic cutout.

Somebody on here converted their closed OPTI to vented. I can't remember who it was. I'm not talking changing the cam and all to use a 95-97 OPTI. I think they drilled a drain hole and installed a vent to hook up to manifold vacuum.

One thing I would suggest is to use silicone dielectric compound on the OPTI wiring harness connector. That is a point where water can enter the OPTI and that connector corrodes like crazy. I had a brand new connector and OPTI corrode in 6 months. I told them to put the silicone dielectric compound on the OPTI wiring harness connector and it's been ok for I think 2 years now.
    2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Opti Spark Moisture Eliminator Kit

Comment

Thanks alot guys,

I had to vent, driving around with the car shaking like it did a year ago just started to get me mad. Sometimes ignorance is bliss.

I think I will order one of those seal kits, is it the same sort of effect silicon would do? I want to take my car into the shop tomorrow and tell them to do something but if its better to wait for that kit I will. Also is there anyway to dry out an opti on the car. Its been getting better since wednesday but I still feel a middium shake or will I have to replace it again.

Thanks again,
        94 Formula Firebird, 355, heads port and polished, cc503 cam, 30# injectors, PCMforless Tune, B&M 2400 stall, K&N CAI, BBK Sorty Headers, Magnaflow Highflow Cat, Borla Catback exhaust with electronic cutout.

Comment

Working...
        X