Getting around V.A.T.S

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting around V.A.T.S

Lately when I go to start my car probably 25% of the time the security light will come on and I'll have to wait a few minutes for the light to turn off so I can start my car. Is there any way to just get rid of it without having to replace the entire module. I'm in school now and I have heard it is a pretty expensive part to buy. To be honest I'll feel plenty secure just locking my doors and knowing you need a key to start my car. I have tuner cat is there any way I could use that to tune it out? Can I jump wires anywhere to make it inoperable?

Also it is not the key I have tried my spare key and it does the exact same thing.
    1994 Firebird Formula, M6, Fan switch, 160 thermostat, Pacesetter LT headers, Morosso CAI, TB bypass, True duals.

You can bypass it using a resistor corresponding to the pallet embedded in your key. You can masure the resistance using an ohm meter. You can go to Shoebox website he has the whole VATS installation procedure and code chart.
    1993 TA SOLD

-------------------------------------------
    "Unless It's Fatal, It's No Big Deal"

Comment

Could you go into a little detail about where to put the resistor. I looked on shoebox's site but electrical stuff is my weak point. Also I was looking through tuner cat and it has a place that says VATS and it has and x next to it. Could I just remove it that way?
      1994 Firebird Formula, M6, Fan switch, 160 thermostat, Pacesetter LT headers, Morosso CAI, TB bypass, True duals.

Comment

For board issues, removing VATS is bad, everyone here will tell you to keep it and just repalce the module. Personally, I've never done it myself, altough my security light has been acting up also, I would think you would have to run wires around the VATS module with the resistor. Anyway you look at it you still have to take everything apart. Before you do, go to GM service center let them have the key tested, the pallet on the key it self might have worn out, they do it free of charge.
        1993 TA SOLD

-------------------------------------------
        "Unless It's Fatal, It's No Big Deal"

Comment

Originally posted by 94 formula
          Could you go into a little detail about where to put the resistor. I looked on shoebox's site but electrical stuff is my weak point. Also I was looking through tuner cat and it has a place that says VATS and it has and x next to it. Could I just remove it that way?
          You didn't find these on my site?

Disabling the VATS with Tunercat will not bypass the pellet check. It only causes the PCM to disregard the need for the fuel enable signal from the VATS. (those are two separate and distinct things the VATS does)

If you don't want to cut any wires, you will need to attach your resistor to the unplugged connector.
          Rob B 95Z A4 Tech Page (Part numbers / locations, how to's, schematics, DTC's...) Home Page - shbox.com

Comment

Originally posted by Rob B (shoebox)
            You can lead a horse to water.............

Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Originally posted by Rob B (shoebox)

Disabling the VATS with Tunercat will not bypass the pellet check. It only causes the PCM to disregard the need for the fuel enable signal from the VATS. (those are two separate and distinct things the VATS does)

If you don't want to cut any wires, you will need to attach your resistor to the unplugged connector.

Thank you Rob B...I'm not sure where I missed that at the first time.

Comment

Working...
              X