V6 Exhaust

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V6 Exhaust

I was wondering what kind of exhaust would sound best on my 2002 Firebird. I'm looking to replace it, tho not right away, and need opinions. I don't want something loud, just a nice, low, smooth tone. And hopefully wallet friendly.

*Pam*

2002 Firebird 3.8 A/T - all stock
    1998 Ford Contour SVT #1578 of 6535

Well, you could always look for a used stock Z28 or T/A exhaust system. Jessica bought mine and loves it.
    Steve
    79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
    87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
    93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
    http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

I gotta z28 flowmaster on mine, and headers, with out the headers it wont be too loud! and it has that lovely deep sound..
      Screaming Mad
      Car: 1994 Camaro, 3.4l V6
      Pace Setter headers & Y pipe, Flowmaster Z28 exhaust, K&N cone filter. modded 4l60e, trans cooler, strut brace, Eibach pro-kit
      0-60 7.74
      1/4 16.52 @ 85.3

Bike: Suzuki GSXR K4 600, K&N filter,Rizla kit, R&G bobbins, Db screen, LED indicators

Comment

The best one I heard for a V6 is a Borla rear section. It's not their adjustable catback, it's a muffler and tailpipes originally made for the early 4th gen V8 cars. Someone at our local Autozone has one on her V6 and it's the best sounding V6 that i've heard.

Comment

I used to have loudmouth and from what you've said that is exactly what you DONT want. When my parents made me change it I got edelbrock and made the i-pipe so that it is full 3" and its sounds great. No rasp at all (hard to believe i know), very smooth and not loud. Wish I had the stuff to make a sound clip of it.
          EDIT: its cheap in price as well
          '99 SSM Camaro V6 M5
          Stock with an irratic idle...
          (218/218 .528/.528 112LSA 112IC)

Comment

Well, you could always look for a used stock Z28 or T/A exhaust system
            If you want to go that way I have both. Jeffs z28 muffler an the one of my Formula You can have for free just pay the shipping.Get back to me if you want one zlee@bellsouth.net Blazer

Comment

Originally posted by Blazer
              If you want to go that way I have both. Jeffs z28 muffler an the one of my Formula You can have for free just pay the shipping.Get back to me if you want one zlee@bellsouth.net Blazer
              Do you know how much shipping would be to 92115 (just a rough estimate)? And how much it would be to get installed, since I live in an apartment complex and park on the street? BTW, you're awesome for offering. Thanks so much!

PS - Pics maybe of both?

*Pam*

2002 Firebird 3.8 A/T - all stock
              1998 Ford Contour SVT #1578 of 6535

Comment

Honestly the other day I heard one of those Flowmaster systems (the one with the resonator) on a V6 Firebird. It just didn't sound right. I personally would never recommend changing the exhuast on a V6 because it doesn't sound good through all the RPM ranges. I had a GTP before my Camaro and had the bright idea to change the exhuast system (Flowmaster and Magnaflow) on that and I was never happy with the sound. The sound was horrible around 2000-3000 RPM, but at idle it sounded awesome. This is just my opinion though.If you really want to I would go Borla I have heard one Borla system before on a V6 and it sounded all right.
                Speed kills... Drive a Ford and live forever!

Comment

Originally posted by FourthGenCamaro5
                  Honestly the other day I heard one of those Flowmaster systems (the one with the resonator) on a V6 Firebird. It just didn't sound right. I personally would never recommend changing the exhuast on a V6 because it doesn't sound good through all the RPM ranges. I had a GTP before my Camaro and had the bright idea to change the exhuast system (Flowmaster and Magnaflow) on that and I was never happy with the sound. The sound was horrible around 2000-3000 RPM, but at idle it sounded awesome. This is just my opinion though.If you really want to I would go Borla I have heard one Borla system before on a V6 and it sounded all right.
                  Ummm, which Flowmaster system would that be? I have never heard of them selling a kit with a resonator, only mufflers. Are you sure it wasn't another brand of exhaust?
                  Steve

Comment

This is the flowmaster kit that I was talking about. I read about it in motor trend a while back.
                    http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/pr...578c6d2a75e23f
                    Speed kills... Drive a Ford and live forever!

Comment

Originally posted by FourthGenCamaro5
                      This is the flowmaster kit that I was talking about. I read about it in motor trend a while back.
                      http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/pr...578c6d2a75e23f
                      I'm assuming that the square-ish piece is the resonator? That's definitely a new one to me. I'll have to look around for a sound clip
                      Steve

Comment

Do you know how much shipping would be to 92115 (just a rough estimate)? And how much it would be to get installed, since I live in an apartment complex and park on the street? BTW, you're awesome for offering. Thanks so much!

PS - Pics maybe of both?
                        I am just guessing but maybe $20.00 at most.You will have to E-mail me for pics I can not post them they will be to big. Get back to me at zlee@bellsouth.net You will have to check on a price to get installed where you live. Blazer

Comment

Well I gotta flow master on mine ( never seen this resonator before ) and headers, and I gotta say it sounds good, and even v8 boys have said it sounds good... but and end of day its all down to personal preferance and which exact system and set up you have..
                          Screaming Mad
                          Car: 1994 Camaro, 3.4l V6
                          Pace Setter headers & Y pipe, Flowmaster Z28 exhaust, K&N cone filter. modded 4l60e, trans cooler, strut brace, Eibach pro-kit
                          0-60 7.74
                          1/4 16.52 @ 85.3

Bike: Suzuki GSXR K4 600, K&N filter,Rizla kit, R&G bobbins, Db screen, LED indicators

Comment

thats because the 3.4L sounds way better than the 3.8L
                            '99 SSM Camaro V6 M5
                            Stock with an irratic idle...
                            (218/218 .528/.528 112LSA 112IC)

Comment

Working...
                            X