Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buying monsoon cd player, will it work with...?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying monsoon cd player, will it work with...?

Will it work with my 12 disc?? I just want to replace my factory cassette radio with the monsoon cd player. Will everything work fine?

I would go aftermarket, but I don't like the look of aftermarket radio's in some cars. I think it would really hurt the way the dash looks, Ive seen it on a few and I don't like it. Stock looks killer. Anybody??
    97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

The resume of my personal experience with the same issue like yours was:
    Check please the headunit part number, it MUST be 09380122.
    This headunit has built in the chip driver for the CD changer.
    Check if your car has the electrical harness to connect tothe CD changer, someplace in the driver's rear quarter panel where the speaker is mounted.

Hope this helps...
    Dochidalgo
    97 A4 Pontiac Firebird Trans am with $everal mod$

Comment

The resume of my personal experience with the same issue like yours was:
      Check please the headunit part number, it MUST be 09380122.
      This headunit has built in the chip driver for the CD changer.
      Check if your car has the electrical harness to connect to the CD changer, someplace in the driver's rear quarter panel where the speaker is mounted.

Hope this helps...
      Dochidalgo

Comment

Ok, so I don't have to have a Monsoon casette deck in my car already? The guy I talked to said I must already have the monsoon radio for this cd player to work. Not true?
        97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

Comment

Yes, you have to have a Monsoon head unit (with cassette player or CD player could build in the driver chip for the CD changer). It's possible your cassette head unit has buidl in the driver chip....you have to connect each other in order to know if are compatible. The Cd head unit part number is the right one because I tested in my car myself. My car had a Delco head unit (not Monsoon) and I hat to purchase or exchange the head units.

Take care
          Dochidalgo

Comment

If you're seriously bent on going with the monsoon, go for it, but you may have to deal with some headaches. I worked in a stereo/speed shop for 4 yrs and I can tell you that most of the newer GM radios are prone to failure. My advice, should you be interested, would be to look for a 1 1/2 din after market radio. They fit the stock hole perfectly and require no mounting kit. I have one in my Trans Am and it looks high tech stock. I know pioneer makes a nice one along with a few other companies. Shop around if you want.

Comment

Originally posted by Sinister TA
              If you're seriously bent on going with the monsoon, go for it, but you may have to deal with some headaches. I worked in a stereo/speed shop for 4 yrs and I can tell you that most of the newer GM radios are prone to failure. My advice, should you be interested, would be to look for a 1 1/2 din after market radio. They fit the stock hole perfectly and require no mounting kit. I have one in my Trans Am and it looks high tech stock. I know pioneer makes a nice one along with a few other companies. Shop around if you want.
              This is true that they are prone to failure, but at the same time they are not that hard/expensive to repair either. They come apart easily and the components can be sent out for repair. Take mine for example: When I got it the CD player did not work. I removed the CD mechanism from the radio chasis and sent it to a guy in Florida with a repair shop. For $60 he completely rebuilt it and sent it back. It's worked great now for 2 years.
              I agree that nothing looks better than the stock radio in our cars.

Also note that these stock radios that use external amps can be easily converted over to run with aftermarket amps. I run a Soundstream Reference 405 in my trunk and my system sounds awsome. I removed those dumb little 1-channel amps from the doors, replaced the speakers and mounted the crossovers where the amps used to be using the OEM amp mounts. It was almost too easy and my stereo still looks stock from inside the car.
              Tracy
              2002 C5 M6 Convertible
              1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
              Current Mods:
              SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Originally posted by Sinister TA
                a 1 1/2 din will not fit a 93-96 Camaro. They have a different dash than the Pontiac. In 97 they changed the dash. I'm not sure if it will fit in the 97 and up Camaro.
                2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

So there is a difference in the monsoon cd deck and the delco deck? I wanted the monsoon, but I don't care to get the delco one if that's all that will work.

Can I Just buy a delco cd player and have it be plug and play with my stock setup? Will the plug for the 12 disc hook right up?

Comment

If and if only, your Delco head unit is the P/N 09380122 your head unit will drive the CD changer, the hook up will be a fact, because the harness connector will match, BUT, the head unit HAVE TO have the driver chip...My OEM Delco CD player w/EQ head unit could not drive the CD changer, so, i had to exchage for the Monsoon head unit CD player w/EQ AND P/N stated.

Check your head unit for its P/N
                    Take care
                    Dochidalgo

Comment

I dont think a monsoon player will work with an original delco deck, but I could be wrong. If you want a cd changer to operate your 12 disc changer than you have to find one out of a 2000 [I think] or new car. Before then only the casette decks were programed to operate the changer.
                      1997 Trans Am WS6
                      6 speed transmition
                      Flow Master cat back
                      other than that its stock

Comment

Working...
                      X