Smokin' from the tailpipe....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smokin' from the tailpipe....

If the engine is leaking oil through an internal seal, how much to replace them all?

It seems that the engine is burning oil. The '99Z low oil light came on yesterday, not the first time in it's 110K mile life, probably only the second. Anyway, didn't think too much about it until my wife said that I was lightly smoking from the tailpipe. The car isn't leaking oil externally (good sign I guess.) Any help/advice will be appreciated, this forum has always come through before.....

Phill

P.S. Spot on with the quote to replace the tranny, whomsoever told me it was going to be 1400$ was withen 30$ of the actual replacement for a new tranny.
    '99 Z28 A4, 101K, fresh tranny, fresh rear-end, fresh window motor!!

I think that if it is burning oil internaly, it could have somthing to do with the valve seals...I am not for sure on that but its just what I think, hopefully some others have their input.
    96 Camaro Z28, T-tops, 6 Speed, Slp CIA, Flowmaster cat-back, 3:42 gears

Comment

Does it smoke while accelerating or only a puff after sitting at idle for a few seconds?
      accelerating=needs rings=$$$$ (engine out pistons out etc...)
      after idle=needs valve seals=$$$ (head work)
      2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

It's a very light smoke, not any true color but light light light grey, not the usual blue, at idle... although I haven't been able to confirm it at any other rpm. Going to try that tomorrow with the wifey at the controls...

Comment

This is probably not it, but I'd check to make sure for a blown head gasket. First, are you experiencing any overheating as in the car running hotter? If so, pull the oil cap and neck off the valve cover and check to see if there's a milky residue in your oil. That means you have a blown head gasket and coolant is getting in your oil. The symptoms would be seeing white smoke and the car running hot.
          94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

Oh well from the sound of all this it sounds like my valve seals have gone
            Screaming Mad
            Car: 1994 Camaro, 3.4l V6
            Pace Setter headers & Y pipe, Flowmaster Z28 exhaust, K&N cone filter. modded 4l60e, trans cooler, strut brace, Eibach pro-kit
            0-60 7.74
            1/4 16.52 @ 85.3

Bike: Suzuki GSXR K4 600, K&N filter,Rizla kit, R&G bobbins, Db screen, LED indicators

Comment

no milky residue, oil looks fine, a little dark, but I'm a few thousand miles past my change date. Just going to break down and take it to the shop. Any one replace their vale seals, gaskets and the like... can you tell me how much to expect. THanks.

Phill

Comment

Originally posted by Axolot2
                no milky residue, oil looks fine, a little dark, but I'm a few thousand miles past my change date. Just going to break down and take it to the shop. Any one replace their vale seals, gaskets and the like... can you tell me how much to expect. THanks.

Phill
                I think you are jumping the gun a bit here. You need to see what color the smoke is. All cars smoke brown when you get on it. It's natural. I still haven't heard anything that even says you have a problem.
                2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Working...
                X