Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

3rd Gen driver's side window problem (with pics)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3rd Gen driver's side window problem (with pics)

As I was heading home today, I noticed a rattle that seemed to be coming from inside the driver's side door whenever I would hit a bump or something similar. When I got home, I took the door panel off and inspected everything. I replaced the power window motor no less than 6 months ago, so I figured it was the motor or the regulator, but it's not, this is what I found, the problem is circled in red:

What's happening is that these 2 pieces are not connected anymore. It looks like the "axle" that attaches to the window itself and the "wheel" that rides up and down that guide/channel have separated. When I move the window back and forth, the "axle" moves out of the guide and then hits the guide, causing the rattle I heard while driving. I have no idea what the real names for those parts are. I can elaborate on that if necessary, just let me know. If someone can host it, I can even shoot a video of what's happening.

My question is just this: What do I need to replace exactly? Apart from the power window motors and regulator assembly, I honestly don't know much about power windows. Any help is appreciated.
    1991 Chevy Camaro RS (Is it plum or purple?)
    Engine: 305 TBI (L03)
    Trans: TH700R4
    Mods: Some

CarDomain Site

The part you are looking at is called a window guide. The guides slide in the tracks.

To fix it "right" you will need to replace the metal track that rivets to the glass. That track includes the guide in question.

or....
    You might be able to use some sort of epoxy glue, like JB Weld to glue the plastic guide back to its metal post. For obvious reasons, I always prefer to fix things the "right" way whenever possible.

The 3rd gen and 4th gen inner window workings are very similar. Shoebox has a video showing the motion of the mechanism on his website. Also, if you use the search feature you will find that I have posted on the door guts extensively with complete pictures and detailed instructions on how to disassemble and reassemble.
    Tracy
    2002 C5 M6 Convertible
    1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
    Current Mods:
    SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Thanks for the help TraceZ. I'll search for your post in a little while, I remember when you made those posts about replacing a door window, but I wasn't sure how alike or different the 3rd and 4th gen doors were.

I think I just paniced last night, because I didn't know what the problem was exactly. After I took a look in my service manual, it all started to make sense. And, after making the window go up and down and really looking at how it worked, it seems like it won't be too hard to replace that piece.

Looks like I'll need to make a trip to the dealership soon.

CarDomain Site

Comment

TraceZ, or anyone else who may know, is it possible to just replace that wheel that rides in that track? I took off the vertical window guide andit looks like the plastic or rubber wheel is just worn out.

It just seems a lot easier to just replace that wheel, if possible, than have to completely remove the window glass and buy and install a new window track guide.

CarDomain Site

Comment

The guide wheel is not sold seperately. It is only available as part of the windowrail assembly.

You are right though, replacing it is a PITA. The hard part is drilling out the rivets that hold the glass to the rail. I replaced all the rivets on my window glass with stainless steel aircraft fasteners. The next time I need to internally service a door it will be cake. I bet I could have a window out in 5 minutes.
          Tracy
          2002 C5 M6 Convertible
          1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
          Current Mods:
          SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

The guide wheel is not sold seperately. It is only available as part of the windowrail assembly.
            Noooo!!!

Well, at least now I know what to do. I found your posts about how to replace the window, and it will definitely help. I just wish this could have happened sooner, especially when I was replacing the power window motor and already had the motor and regulator out. Oh well, that's life for you.

CarDomain Site

Comment

Originally posted by TraceZ
              Are you sure the plastic wheel isn't sold seperately? I haven't had my door apart on my firebird but I know there is a common problem on the b-bodys(Caprice, Impalas, etc). They used slides from the factory that eventually break in half. The replacement part is a little plastic wheel.
              There is a writeup about it but no pictures of the roller.
              http://impalassforum.com/tech/interi...wfix/index.htm
              Pics I just uploaded to cardomain. They are just a little smaller diameter than a dime. Should have put a dime next to them...oops
              http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...483_7_full.jpg
              http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...483_8_full.jpg
              Again I am not sure these are the same but its worth a try to check them out. The GM part number is 9666748 and they are only a couple dollars each. Hope this helps.
              Greg W. in West Michigan
              1992 Formula WS6-A/R Rims, Stock L05 swap, Former Abuse Victim
              1983 Z28-Parts car- *Sold*
              1984 Z28-305 HO Auto *Sold*
              1986 Camaro-V-6 5Spd *Sold*
              1984 Camaro-V-6 Auto *Sold*
              <Motor out

Comment

Originally posted by carguy100200
                Are you sure the plastic wheel isn't sold seperately?
                I'm 100% sure it is not sold seperately for 4th gen cars. The parts book shows it as being only available with the channel. It does *not* have its own part number. But keep in mind I'm looking at 4th gen parts, not 3rd. The 3rd could be slightly different.

As far as the b-bdy part working, I have no idea. You say it is the size of a dime. I just went out and looked at a spare 4th gen channel I have and it is quarter sized. But again, the 3rd gen could be different.

Does anyone have a 3rd gen parts book that they could look it up for us?
                Tracy
                2002 C5 M6 Convertible
                1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
                Current Mods:

Comment

Pics I just uploaded to cardomain. They are just a little smaller diameter than a dime. Should have put a dime next to them...oops
                  The bad wheel I have on the window track guide is pretty big, definitely larger than a quarter (should've measured it while I had the vertical guide out, but forgot to). I don't think those wheels will work. I truly appreciate the reply, though.

It's really not going to be too bad replacing the window track guide. I'm ordering the parts later today from the dealer. but I probably won't be able to replace it until next weekend. Looks like I'm just going to have to drive the car around for a week with the door panel off and some zip ties handy so I can still roll the window up and down without that annoying rattle.

CarDomain Site

Comment

Just a shot in the dark with that one... Good call TraceZ.
                    Greg W. in West Michigan
                    1992 Formula WS6-A/R Rims, Stock L05 swap, Former Abuse Victim
                    1983 Z28-Parts car- *Sold*
                    1984 Z28-305 HO Auto *Sold*
                    1986 Camaro-V-6 5Spd *Sold*
                    1984 Camaro-V-6 Auto *Sold*
                    <Motor out

Comment

Originally posted by carguy100200
                      Just a shot in the dark with that one... Good call TraceZ.

It's always worth a shot. You're idea was well worth talking about.
                      Tracy
                      2002 C5 M6 Convertible
                      1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
                      Current Mods:

Comment

Working...
                      X