Well.... I've got problems....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well.... I've got problems....

I had the car in the shop because I had lost clutch pedal last week and was left beside the road. Well I had the car in the air and went ahead and took the tranny out to assess the damage.

Once i got everything tore apart I found that I snapped the shift fork and when it went it damaged the clutch assembley. After I had everything cleaned up I went ahead and put in my new lightweight flywheel which has been in my room for months .

I then began to fix the intake manifold leak which I found after getting under the car when I saw how much easier it was to access the spark plugs with tranny dropped out.

So i then began to change all of them with minimal problems until i got to my last one. The last one was the one on the frontside of the passengerside of the engine (not sure what number cylinder). Well i could only get at it from the top and it was still kind of tricky to get my hands in there. Well i got the socket on there and took out the old one and tossed it aside. Well when i went to put in the new one with my fingers I thought that it was going in fine but apparently it crossthreaded which is the cause of my problem.

From what i can see with a mirror I have messed up the threads in my head and have no idea how to get get my exhaust manifold off to remove the head to have this fixed.

Anyone else have this problem or have any advice?
    1997 6-spd WS6 Trans Am

This is why you should always screw in plugs with a piece of rubber vaccum or fuel hose. This way it makes it difficult to place enough twisting force on the plug to cross-thread it.

Here are 2 useful threads that will help you to repair the head:

http://www.f-body.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13246

http://www.f-body.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13079

Comment

Thanks Kev. By the way... do you have any tips for removal of the heads/exhaust manifolds? Perhaps how to keep all of my fingers intact?
      1997 6-spd WS6 Trans Am

Comment

Working...
      X