cold air gain??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cold air gain??

Hi everyone. Any suggestions on a cold-air intake for a 95 TA? Also, anyone have before/after timeslips?

http://www.slponline.com/view_produc...RTNUMBER=21014

This one gets my vote. I picked one up years ago to test against my factory Ram Air hood and induction. It came pretty close, the ram air working a hair better at high road speeds. It will add 15-20 HP over the base motor rating, so your 275 HP will be 295 HP.

Comment

I think I am going to go with the G2 kit from Fast Toys. http://www.fasttoys.net/9398fbodyinduc.html
      I don't like the idea of the intake taking air from under the hood as in the SLP and the K&N. The G2 gets air through the stock location which draws air from outside the engine compartment.

I was looking at the factory air tube that goes between the filter and the MAF meter and it is really pinched between the radiator and the anti lock brake stuff. I had planned on getting the G2, sawing the old pipe in half at the pinch point, taking a picture of it and posting it here on the board. I was also thinking this is probably the reason the ram air Trans Am had 10 more horses. It's not due to the ram effect which is really nothing, it's due to the stock air intake pipe being pinched off.
      2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff 95 Z28

I don't like the idea of the intake taking air from under the hood as in the SLP and the K&N. The G2 gets air through the stock location which draws air from outside the engine compartment.
        The SLP unit doesn't draw air from underhood. There is a block off plate that seals the filters from underhood and draws it's air from behind the front fascia. If you take the link in my post, you'll see what I am referring to. I don't know about the K&N though....

Comment

I'm not understanding how that plate attaches. I need to see it installed. Do you know where any pictures are of it installed?
          2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

Comment

I'll have to scan something and post it. At the moment, what I can tell you is that when you remove the factory airbox, you'll see that it extended downward several inches into another compartment. The block off plate is installed above the filters, the CAI is installed with the filters extending down into the lower compartment, the block off plate snaps into place, sealing the filters from the hot underhood air. Pretty slick actually.

Comment

If you take your stock filter box completely out and look straight down you'll see an opening. Below that is a small area about 1 cubic foot. If you look under your car you'll see the small slits that lead into the area in the plastic piece that forms the bottom.

The SLP intake has two air intake pipes that lead to that and a plastic piece to seal the top area and separate it from the rest of the engine compartment. It can draw outside air from the slits.

Most cold air systems will produce about the same results. One exception may be the G2 since it leaves the stock filter box in place. I haven't seen evidence to support this though.
              Joe K.
              '11 BMW 328i
              '10 Matrix S AWD
              Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

Ah, I think I understand now. I didn't realize you had to take the air box off. I assume the surface it sits on is slanted or something. I'll take a closer look when I get home.

Even that said, I'm still leaning to the G2 system but I will re-evaluate it.

Comment

I was under the impression that the G2 used the stock air box. There is another variation of the same design that used a replacement K&N filter with a block off plate to achieve. Might be Moroso? I think the factory airbox bites.

Comment

I would never endorse a system that used the factory airbox either. I used to have the K+N system on a 95 a few years back. It also draws from under the front facia, NOT from the engine compartment. Included a block off plate with a round hole in it for the pipe to run through.

To repeat myself.... I strongly recommend avioding any system that uses the stock airbox. Waste of $$ IMO.

Comment

In addition...the K&N system (also known as FIPK) and SLP kit's come with K&N reusable cotton filters that should flow better than the paper filter. I'd say the FIPK is probably the best value out there....I don't know much about the Moroso system though...SLP has better looks IMO...
                      Joe K.
                      '11 BMW 328i
                      '10 Matrix S AWD
                      Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

Does anybody know the inside diameter of the 2 smaller pipes on the SLP system?

Comment

I have the Morosso system on my Formula. The Morosso is exactly like the K&N. I think they just took the K&N design and put there name on it. It even comes with a K&N filter.

I would stray away from the G2 kit. You are putting the filter right back in the stock location which is going to suck hot air out of the engine bay. When you take the stock air box out you will see where it draws it air from, and I can guarantee you it isn't cool outside air!

The G2 is over priced, and less effecient than the K&N, SLP, and Morosso kits. The G2 reasoning for the stock air box location is so you don't get water in the air intake. TRUST ME, unless you drive into a pond, you are not going to get water in the intake.

Randy
                          99 TA "RBLUTA" - NBM, M6, Whisper Lid, SLP Fan Switch, 160* Thermo, SLP LM, BMR STB & LCA's.

***SOLD*** It will be missed!!
                          93 Formula "FRMLAV8" -383 Stroker

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff 95 Z28
                            Does anybody know the inside diameter of the 2 smaller pipes on the SLP system?
                            Got one sitting in the Garage..... I'll measure it.

Comment

OK, I took the stock air box out. Yes it sucks. G2 is out. It looks like it is down to the SLP and the K&N/Moroso. Did I miss any? The K&N/Moroso one looks like it has a rubber piece on it for sealing to the body? Is that what it is?

Comment

Working...
                              X