Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch hydraulic problem

Hi everbody,
    I have a 2001 Firehawk and I've just started getting this worrying intermittent problem. At times my clutch pedal will stay down on the floor leaving me unable to get it out of gear without forcing it,it happened once whilst I was behined a truck that was unloading in the road(!)and I held the pedal down ready to go and as I started to lift the car learched and stalled.
    After getting going I noticed the pedal was on the floor and pulled over and had to pull the lever into neutral as the clutch was still engaged so I couldn't stop.
    Do you think I need a new master cyl' or is my fluid knackered?
    Thanks in advance
    Paul
    2001 Firehawk 10th Anniversary, m6
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2139497

Originally posted by paul
    Hi everbody,
    I have a 2001 Firehawk and I've just started getting this worrying intermittent problem. At times my clutch pedal will stay down on the floor leaving me unable to get it out of gear without forcing it,it happened once whilst I was behined a truck that was unloading in the road(!)and I held the pedal down ready to go and as I started to lift the car learched and stalled.
    After getting going I noticed the pedal was on the floor and pulled over and had to pull the lever into neutral as the clutch was still engaged so I couldn't stop.
    Do you think I need a new master cyl' or is my fluid knackered?
    Thanks in advance
    Paul
    This sounds real familiar.
    http://www.f-body.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13667
    http://www.f-body.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13684

Have you checked your fluid level? Did it run dry? If so it needs to be bleed.
    2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

I'll check the fluid in the morning again as it was ok last week,I suppose I should look for bubbles and discolouration?
      The problem is difficult to pinpoint as it only happens now and again, but I'll let you know how the fluid check goes.
      Thank you for your help
      Paul

Comment

Well I checked the fluid this morning and it has black silt like deposits in it.The level seems fine and when the pedal is pressed down there are no bubbles,although it was hard to tell if the fluid level was dropping.
        I'm thinking of flushing out the old oil as when i put some on my finger it looked like it was seperating in a oil-water kind of way, or is the black stuff the seals breaking up in the master cylinder?

Comment

master or slave?

i have a 2001 ss with a 6 speed, my problem is that after my clutch is pressed down(say at a red light) it starts to engage with the pedal on the floor, after sitting for 20-30 sec. my question is , is my master cylinder or my slave cylinder is bad?, like to know for sure before i pull the trans out to check the slave cylinder, any ideas??

Comment

Do the Drill mod and it will solve most of your problem considering you both have 01+ hydrolic components.
            Eddie
            2000 M6 Trans Am
            Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

Is your fluid fresh? Is it discolored?

Try changing the fluid in the reservior out with fresh stuff. Then pump the clutch pedal 20 times and repeat until the fluid stays clear after pumping.

This is common on LS1 Corvettes. We call it "clutch pedal woes". I keep my fluid fresh and have never experienced it personally. It sounds like it really sucks.
              Tracy
              2002 C5 M6 Convertible
              1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
              Current Mods:
              SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Originally posted by TraceZ
                Is your fluid fresh? Is it discolored?

Try changing the fluid in the reservior out with fresh stuff. Then pump the clutch pedal 20 times and repeat until the fluid stays clear after pumping.

This is common on LS1 Corvettes. We call it "clutch pedal woes". I keep my fluid fresh and have never experienced it personally. It sounds like it really sucks.
                Wow where did you come from! Long time no see. (place corvette wave here)
                2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_in_Atl
                  Wow where did you come from! Long time no see. (place corvette wave here)
                  Heh, been pretty bust lately. 4 kids now, and we moved into a new house. What little time left is now split between the Vette and the Z28.
                  Tracy
                  2002 C5 M6 Convertible
                  1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
                  Current Mods:
                  SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Originally posted by TraceZ
                    Heh, been pretty bust lately. 4 kids now, and we moved into a new house. What little time left is now split between the Vette and the Z28.
                    he he he good to see you again.

Comment

Working...
                    X