Z28 vs. SS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Z28 vs. SS

Folks, some f-body owners on www.svtperformance.com are trying to argue with me that "it's common knowledge all stock LS1's run the same, or very close to it, at the track." I don't believe this at all and in my personal experience, an SS will usually outrun a Z28 by about .3 sec. Can someone back me up on this or explain to me why every comparison I have ever seen or experienced has had the SS winning by roughly the same margin??

If you are registered on the svt site, the thread is:
    http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...4&pagenumber=4
    1999 Camaro Z28
    Stock
    Light Pewter Metallic

(For sale soon)

my opinion

I feel somewhat like my input is somewhat unbiased:

I have owned the following cars:

1998 Z28 (Dynoed 306 stock)
    1998 SS (Dynoed 305 stock)
    2000 SS (Dynoed 312 stock)
    2002 SS (Dynoed 322 stock)

All of these cars were 6-speed cars. In 1998, my Stock Z28 ran a sligthly faster time than my 98 SS did.. at the same mileage points...

I then added modifications to my SS and it picked up decently on the times that the Z28 had run.

In 2000, my newest SS was faster than either of my 98 cars by about .2 in the quarter mile and 3mph completely stock.

My 2002 SS was by far the quickest of the cars.. which did include enhancements over the years by GM from the factory.

---

Let's talk now about the main differences between the Z28 and The SS.. The air scoop is pretty unfunctional. It may allow the car to breath better, but the design the WS6/Firehawk program has is far superior.

The SS has an oil cooler and 17" wheels, etc... which obviously make no difference.

---

My bottom line regarding the SS vs Z28 debate is that I don't think that an SS automatically beats an SS... very much in this case like in many others.. ITS THE DRIVER behind the wheel who wins the race.

---

Certainly a 2002 Z28 might very well have a good advantage over a 1998 SS.. but year vs. year.. its going to be a close one.

Comment

I don't think that an SS automatically beats an SS

WHAAAAA?!?!? Between those two I'd put my money on the SS for sure!

I love typos!!
      Joe K.
      '11 BMW 328i
      '10 Matrix S AWD
      Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

Working...
      X