No announcement yet.

Still having some braking problems....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Still having some braking problems....

Brakes have seemed a little week for a while now, so I took the car in and had the fluid flushed since it hadn't been replaced at all and I've got 104k miles. Still no difference.

To refresh...The car stops allright, just not what I would expect. In a panic stop the pedal goes to the floor with enough force. Seemed to begin when I had all the pads replaced about 6 months ago. May need to check the pad type....Should've been the right pad and they're performance friction. But there can always be mistakes....I picked them up myself though before installation and checked them out.

Gonna drop it off at the local dealership on Monday. I've only had the rotors resurfaced once or twice since I bought it with 40k miles. Don't know what was done before that though.

One tech said maybe the rotors had been resurfaced one too many times.....We'll see. Anything else to check out that I haven't thought of yet?
    Joe K.
    '11 BMW 328i
    '10 Matrix S AWD
    Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

My car is doing the same thing.

My braking sucks! I noticed this after I Flushed the brake lines though, and not before. The disks can be measured to see if theyve become too thin. The tolerance should be engraved on the disk itself. But I still dont understand why my braking sucks. There appears to be no leaks from the vacuum hose, and my brake pads are fairly new. I dont get it, maybe someone else here can help........
    1996 Arctic White Z28, A4, K&N CAI, TByrne MAF ends, BBK Twin-52mm TB, TB Bypass, SLP 1 3/4" Shorties, Richmond 3.42's, Dynomax Bullet Muffler W/Turn Down, BMR Adj. Panhard, EIBACH Pro-Kit, AFS ZR1 Wheels W/17x11" out back!

Comment

If the whole system checks out, Baer has a 2 piston front caliper setup for stock 16" wheels. I really don't want to go there though as it would set me back $650 or so just for the equipment.

I'll post any findings on Monday.
      Joe K.
      '11 BMW 328i
      '10 Matrix S AWD
      Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

Check the rubber hoses for "ballooning". There are 5 hoses in the ABS-only systems, and 6 in the ABS/TCS systems. Its conceivable that the hoses are expanding under the pressure. Replacements should eliminate the problem. You can also get braided S/S replacements in multi-hose "kits", but they are primarily cosmetic. A healthy reinforce rubber brake hose will not allow significant expansion (and loss of pressure) to occur.

It's also conceivable that you could have bad seals in the master cylinder, allowing fluid to bypass the pistons.
        Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Thanks Fred....That thought had occured to me as well. Is there anyway to test the theory aside from just replacing them?

I know it's difficult to tell the condition of coolent hoses just by looking at them or feeling them....I assume it's the same for these as well.
          Joe K.
          '11 BMW 328i
          '10 Matrix S AWD

Comment

Look in the Helm's manual or Haynes manual..

I've remember reading in Haynes books for
            other GM cars (Lumina, Jeep), that if you
            hold the brake pedal down after turning the car
            off, or was it turning it on, you shouldn't
            sink to the floor until a couple minutes.

I've never tested/tried it. Definitely check
            the brake hoses like Wolf said.

Originally posted by Joe K. 96 Zeee!!
            Thanks Fred....That thought had occured to me as well. Is there anyway to test the theory aside from just replacing them?

I know it's difficult to tell the condition of coolent hoses just by looking at them or feeling them....I assume it's the same for these as well.

Comment

Originally posted by BAS
              Look in the Helm's manual or Haynes manual..

I've remember reading in Haynes books for
              other GM cars (Lumina, Jeep), that if you
              hold the brake pedal down after turning the car
              off, or was it turning it on, you shouldn't
              sink to the floor until a couple minutes.

I've never tested/tried it. Definitely check
              the brake hoses like Wolf said.
              Yeah...you're right. Hayne's has a decent list of things to check. Brake pedal goes to the floor even with the engine on.

Most likely culprits would be:

-Deteriorated rubber brake hoses
              -Soft caliper seals
              -Incorrect pad clearence
              -Problem with master cylinder

The rest deal with fluid problems (leaks, air in lines, etc.). I can pretty much eliminate those.
              Joe K.
              '11 BMW 328i
              '10 Matrix S AWD

Comment

Another thing to consider is cleaning and lubricating the caliper rubber bushings. The Calipers and pads are floating wich means they must slide on caliper screw pins.
                As the pads wear brake dust gets in and gums the calipers up a bit.
                Clean the pins and seals with Brake cleaner as well as the seal inb the caliper piston. If you lubricant on the seals make sure it is not sprayed on the rotors or pads unless it is brake cleaner wich does not leave a oily film after drying.
                Many neglect this procedure when chaning brake pads. I have done this with remakable results. Much crisper and effective braking.
                There may be a visual referance some where on the web to complete this proceedure.
                LT4KM, 160' TS, MAF ends, TB-bs, 1.6 R/R, SLP CAI, LCA, tierod, 17x9"F/R, 275/40R17 tires. WS6 Muffler, LS1 DS. 21mm rear sway bar. Soon to be LT4 heads, intake, & HOT cam

Comment

Ok...so final verdict from the shop after inspection. No problems.

They took it on a test drive and say it stops great and checked pedal travel with another Camaro on the lot.

Only thing they found was that brake fluid was black. I had it flushed a couple months ago....and they say it should be more clear...they actually questioned if it had been flushed at all.

*sigh* I'm not putting up the bucks for a front dual piston setup. Maybe I'll get some hawk pads for my next set when these Performance Friction Carbon Metalic wear out. How are they on brake dust?

Comments?
                  Joe K.
                  '11 BMW 328i
                  '10 Matrix S AWD

Comment

Originally posted by Joe K. 96 Zeee!!
                    Yeah...you're right. Hayne's has a decent list of things to check. Brake pedal goes to the floor even with the engine on.

Most likely culprits would be:

-Deteriorated rubber brake hoses
                    -Soft caliper seals
                    -Incorrect pad clearence
                    -Problem with master cylinder

The rest deal with fluid problems (leaks, air in lines, etc.). I can pretty much eliminate those.
                    I had the same problem on my 3rd Gen and I replaced the brake hoses and that fixed the problem..

Bill

Comment

Working...
                    X