96 V6 hard start

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 96 V6 hard start

I have a 96 Firebird 3.8 5spd with 140k. The car has had a hard-start condition for as long as I have had it, which is about 20k. It has gotten worse, but the car starts every time, it just takes 2 or 3 attempts. The problem is this: The fuel pressure spikes with the key on and the engine off (while the pump runs) but drops to 0 after the pump shuts off. The pressure is steady around 43psi at idle, but drops almost instantly to 0 when the engine is turned off. Obviously, something is causing the pressure to bleed off when the pump isn't running, but I don't know what it is. The car does not leak gas. What should I check next? Could a faulty gas cap cause this? What about the vent lines back to the tank?

thanks,
    Dave

I'm having the exact same problem with my car right now. It was suggested to me to try the fuel pressure regulator and/ or the fuel pump.
    1999 Ram Air Trans Am. M6

SFC( not sure what kind), drilled/slotted rotors, K&N air filter, all free mods, 3" Borla cat back exaust, electric exaust cut out, NGK spark plugs, royal purple motor oil, and Zaino .Maybe more. I find more stuff done to it everytime I look at it.

Comment

Working...
    X