stock cat and ABS sensor

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stock cat and ABS sensor

Hey, anyone know what the stock size of the cat is? I'm looking to replace it and wonder if a 3" will fit well with the stock exhaust as well as the loudmouth coming down the road. Also, anyone know what the GM part # is for the right front ABS sensor? Thanks.
    Steve
    79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
    87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
    93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
    http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Just a heads up on the ABS sensor..... you can't replace just the sensor, you have to replace the entire hub /bearing assembly. It is a sealed unit.

Comment

The outlet of the cat goes into a 2-3/4" intermediate pipe. Most cat-back replacements increase that IM ipe to 3". The Y-pipe appears to be similar on the inlet end of the Cat, but I never measured it. I would think that you wouldn't want to use anything less than a 3" high flow cat. But many of them come with "plain" ends, and need to be adapted to fit any particular system. The stock system has a weld on the front of the cat, so the old one needs to be cut off. Then you need to either weld in the front of the cat, or have flanges added. In the back, as I recall (I haven't had the stock exhaust for at least 4 years) there is a GM specific "ball flange" used on the cat.

There are 4th Gen specific replacements available, that will have the required outlet flange.
      Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Thanks for the help guys. I'm going to have my exhaust shop do the cat, but I needed to know if I could get away with a 3" on the stock exhaust system as well as the loudmouth. As I was informed earlier, I know that the ABS sensor is part of the hub assembly, but do you know the part #? Thanks a bunch guys.
        Steve

Comment

1993-2002 front wheel hub #7470587 $136.28

Comment

Sweet, thanks man. You still got that assembly from your car? Interested in selling it? lol BTW, update on my GN...the cam sprocket on the timing chaing stripped and bent 3 valves...hurts just thinkning about it
            Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Steve93Z
              Sweet, thanks man. You still got that assembly from your car? Interested in selling it? lol BTW, update on my GN...the cam sprocket on the timing chaing stripped and bent 3 valves...hurts just thinkning about it
              Ouch..... did that once too. The stocker is a POS. I do still have two assemblies. Let me know if ya want one or both... they will be cheap.

Comment

Yeah, we are to happy about it either. But, she comes home tomorrow with the new timing chaing set, reworked heads and the crack welded up on the stock POS dirver's header. Lemme know how much you want for both...might as well do both while I'm doing the brakes. Won't be for another few weeks though, as I'm going to upgrade the rotors and pads at the same time. Also, are there any actual benefits to having the LT4 knock module vs. the stock one? Thanks again man.
                Steve

Comment

The headers will most likely crack again unless additional bracing is added. A triangle shaped brace welded from the "log" to the runner will help. Sooner or later they all crack. I ended up getting a set of ceramic coated Poston's headers. 4 years later they still look brand new.

The LT4 knock module will help filter out drivetrain noises, will give you less knock retard in the upper rpms and especially on a gearshift. My car used to feel a little flat during and immediatly after a gearshift and sure enough, the scanner was showing a couple degrees of knock retard. After the addition of the LT4 module, the car pulled harder though the gear change, the flat spot was gone. A highly recommended mod for the dough.

The hubs are kinda heavy, so e-mail me your info so I can see how much the shipping will be and I'll get back with ya.

Comment

Working...
                  X