Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headers SLP, MAC, RK sport......

Hello, I have narrrowed the choice down to the following three types:

SLP 3/4 coated primaries coated ($750.00 with bad plug access)
    RK sport 3/4 primaries coated ($450.00 with bad plug access)
    MAC mid-tube 5/8 primaries coated (650.00 with good plug access)

I definitely want coated headers and I would like to have 3/4 tubes but dont want the bad plug access. Points for MAC.

I would like to in the future go LE2 package and I know that would work better with 3/4 tubes. Points for RK sport and SLP.

I dont want to spend a fortune. Points for RK sport.

Im leaning toward the MACS because of the easier install and plug acsess.
    Do you guys think there are performance disadvantages with the 5/8 tubes with nearly stock engine as well as LE2 package and can someone explain how hard it is to get to the plugs on the RK's and the SLP.
    Time for everyone to brag on their headers.
    I DO NOT WANT long tubes so please dont go there.
    Thanks
    1995 Z28 Convertible, 350ci LT1 73K miles M6.
    Dyno results: 301.5 RWHP 326.7 RWTQ
    Performance Mods 4.10 gears, AS&M CAI, MADZ28 tune, Borla catback, RK Sport mid-length headers, LT4 valve springs, CC pro mag 1.6 RR's, LT4 KM, MSD OVC wires, TB bypass, 160 t-stat, SLP clutch plate w/Kevlar dual friction disk, 52MM TB, TB air foil, 1LE aluminum driveshaft, ASP UD pulley, LS1 brakes w/ Hawk HPS pads, LCA's and PHB.

I really don't think my SLPs have bad plug access. I think it's better than stock.

Comment

I don't know why they call these long tubes but these were my second choice to the SLPs.

http://www.azspeed-marine.com/as19lt1flotu.html
      2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Its my understanding that RK sports are nearly identicle to the Arizona speed and marine headers for several hundred bucks less. I have heard no major complaints on this header and again the price is very reasonable.

http://www.rksport.com/product/p_01096556/view_detail
        Performance Mods 4.10 gears, AS&M CAI, MADZ28 tune, Borla catback, RK Sport mid-length headers, LT4 valve springs, CC pro mag 1.6 RR's, LT4 KM, MSD OVC wires, TB bypass, 160 t-stat, SLP clutch plate w/Kevlar dual friction disk, 52MM TB, TB air foil, 1LE aluminum driveshaft, ASP UD pulley, LS1 brakes w/ Hawk HPS pads, LCA's and PHB.

Comment

I am very happy with the plug access on the SLP's. The Hardest plug to do is the #5... Other than that it is cake.
          1995 Firebird Formula
          (A4 3.23)Ram Air w/ K&N, TransGo Shift Kit w/3 washers ,SLP~Shorty headers, LoudMouth, Air Foil, LineLocks. Catco Cat. Hypertech 160. TB Bypass. MSD~8.5mm. Walbro 255lph. FT MAF ends. LT4KM. BMR~Adj LCA's, Rear sway, Panhard rod. HAL QA1 rear shocks. Random Tech adj TQ arm. Nitto NT555R's. Covered in Zaino. 13.466@103.85 N/A. [1.948 60' 13.410 @ 102.66 11/20/05]

Comment

Which plug is number five?

Comment

I agree. And don't forget, even if it's not as good as other headers, in terms of plug access, it's still 100x better than stock manifold access! The design is nice for the '94 to '95 style. They're a tiny bit longer than shorties, so I'd consider them near mid-length. Not sure about the hp gains though. My newest dyno runs were awful. If I can figure out what's wrong with my car, I'll get it dynoed and post the gains I got from them.
              I see you have Borla too...if you want to hear how they sound with Borla, here's my bad dyno runs: http://s94938520.onlinehome.us/pictu...ig94TADyno.wmv
              Runs 1 and 2 were with the cutout open, 3 was closed.
              94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

Looking at your numbers the Borla muffler bypassed provide pratically nothing in terms of extra HP. But it sounds mo' cool.

Comment

Don't pay attention to the numbers. The motor is jacked right now, lol. Of course, that could be the case with the muffler bypassed, but it also may not be true.
                  94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

How did the original manifold bolts come out for ya' thats the part that scares me the most and how much more did the engine pull over 5400 RPM. Mine falls on its face at that RPM.

Comment

The 1.6 RRs and headers combine to make the LT1 nice above 5400. For curve reference, here's my dyno sheet: http://s94938520.onlinehome.us/pictures/baddyno.jpg
                      Again, it's not running on par, but you can see the general curve. It makes similar power from 5000 all the way up to 5800. It shouldn't fall on its face anymore when opened up

Unfortunately, the install was the hardest thing I've ever done on this car. 11 of 12 bolts came out perfectly, but #5 (from the front) bolt on the driver's side had already broken previously. I didn't even know until I tried to remove it. The head of the bolt simply fell off as I was trying to feel for it with my hand. It took me 2 weeks (on and off) trying to drill it out. I had to use a right angle drill attachment, several tungsten carbide bits, and a heli-coil to fix it. Anywhere else, and the head would have had to be removed. http://s94938520.onlinehome.us/pictures/bolt.jpg

On the other hand, if you break the last bolt (on each side) in the back of the head, you do not need to worry. There are 2 bolt holes, one closer to the front, one behind it. The manifolds use the one closer to the front, while the SLPs use the one behind it. I wish I had broken that bolt

Good luck on whichever header you decide to go with. And make sure you have lots of PB blaster

Comment

Working...
                      X