High Beam switch not working.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High Beam switch not working.

What all is involved in change it? Anybody with experience on this ? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
    96 Camaro Z28/A4,Vortech elbow,Moroso CAI,Flowmaster.Addco PHR,LCA,160* Stat,pcmforless,1LE Driveshaft,1LE A/C delete pulley,1LE Front sway bar,Strut brace,sub frames, LT4 knock module,255 lph pump,Cutout,

Yeah.... it's not fun. It requires removal of the airbag, steering wheel and assorted stuff in the column.

Comment

Any special tools or special tools needed?
      96 Camaro Z28/A4,Vortech elbow,Moroso CAI,Flowmaster.Addco PHR,LCA,160* Stat,pcmforless,1LE Driveshaft,1LE A/C delete pulley,1LE Front sway bar,Strut brace,sub frames, LT4 knock module,255 lph pump,Cutout,

Comment

A steering wheel puller and a lockspring removal tool.

Comment

If it is the actual switch, it is low on the steering column. No need to disassemble the top of the column.

You can find info on how to get to it in my igntion switch replacement guide on my Tech Page.

Rob B 95Z A4 Tech Page (Part numbers / locations, how to's, schematics, DTC's...) Home Page - shbox.com

Comment

The issue is about a month ago. It would take a couple times before you heard the click click sound and get the high beams to turn off. Now the high beams wont come on. That click sound is gone. So im assuming something mechanical broke or is worn out.

Comment

He's right.... my mind was on something else. I must have been thinking lock cylinder.? You do have to drop the column down so that the wheel is on the seat. The high beam switch and the ignition switch are on the topside down low.

Comment

Thanks guys...

Comment

Once you get the steering column lowered, you can manipulate, by hand, the rod from the multi-function lever to see if it is operating the switch. Notice that the switch has a slotted mounting for adjustment. The screws also hold down the ignition switch, so don't disturb it's positon or it might get out of adjustment.
                  Rob B 95Z A4 Tech Page (Part numbers / locations, how to's, schematics, DTC's...) Home Page - shbox.com

Comment

Well as an update..I took off the little cover by the multifunction switch and saw that if I try to turn on the high beams. The whole base of the switch moves. So I stuck my finger in to hold down the base of the switch as I use my other hand to turn the high beams on and they worked with the click sound. I am guessing one of the screws has worked itself loose at the base of the rod.

Comment

Originally posted by Red20170
                      Well as an update..I took off the little cover by the multifunction switch and saw that if I try to turn on the high beams. The whole base of the switch moves. So I stuck my finger in to hold down the base of the switch as I use my other hand to turn the high beams on and they worked with the click sound. I am guessing one of the screws has worked itself loose at the base of the rod.
                      In that case, looks like you will need to get into the top part of the column.

Comment

Working...
                      X