Coolant Leak

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coolant Leak

I have been doing research on this site to help with my problem. My 96 TA has a coolant leak that only leaks after the car has warmed up and then sits at least overnight to completely cool off. I took it to a couple of local shops and the opinion is (without diagnostic pressure check) that it is the intake gasket.
    Problem is in my research it seemed that the coolant never comes in contact with the intake gasket. Is that true
    Where could the leak be from? I know it is not the hoses or water pump.

Thanks

Ryan
    96 Trans Am WS6 M6, K&N Filter, BBK Headers, Spec Stage II clutch, 180 Thermostat, MadZ28 tune... Best 1/4 13.76@103.7

What I would do is do a cooling system pressure check. You may have a leak with the coolant transfer tube on the back of the heads.

Comment

No coolant flows through the LT1 intake manifold. It could be the coolant steam vent crossover tube like Joe mentioned. Or it could be leaking from the TB.

Is the front of the engine dry?

Comment

As far as I can tell the leak is toward the lower front of the engine. I see no evidence of a leak near the top. It drips onto one of the cables that hangs right in front of the rack and pinion unit. I am sure I will ultimately need to get a pressure test done.
        96 Trans Am WS6 M6, K&N Filter, BBK Headers, Spec Stage II clutch, 180 Thermostat, MadZ28 tune... Best 1/4 13.76@103.7

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan96WS6
          As far as I can tell the leak is toward the lower front of the engine. I see no evidence of a leak near the top. It drips onto one of the cables that hangs right in front of the rack and pinion unit. I am sure I will ultimately need to get a pressure test done.

lower front would most likely be the water pump. I'm surrprised your mechanic did not see that. Your distributor is located in that area as well, and if it gets wet it will easily croak. Best replace the water pump before it gets the distributor wet.
          Tracy
          2002 C5 M6 Convertible
          1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
          Current Mods:
          SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

I replaced the water pump myself 2 yrs ago. There does not appear to be any fluid coming from the weep hole. Also when the pump went last time the anti freeze would leak onto the serp belt and fling up onto the underside of the hood. That isn't happening this time.

Comment

Pressure test it cold and get under there to see where it is leaking from.

Comment

I had this same problem and still do. Had it presure tested and they found no leaks. I check my level of coolant and its fine. I keep a spare jug in the car just in case......wish I could help you more, the presure test may help you, didn't help me! Must be the miles on the motor.

Comment

Working...
                X