Opti Spark Alternatives?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opti Spark Alternatives?

Are there any alternatives to using the optispark on an lt1. I could swear that I read an artical on some type of alternative. Seemed kinda like ls1 ignition . But wondering if any of you guys knew.
    96 Camaro Z28, T-tops, 6 Speed, Slp CIA, Flowmaster cat-back, 3:42 gears

Here is a tech that Fred wrote up on his page. No pics, but he explains it pretty well.

http://members.aol.com/injuneerzz/Emotive.htm
    97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

The Electromotive setup has not been available for many years.

Right now, there is nothing out there that totally eliminates the opti. You can eliminate the necessity for the cap and rotor by going to the LTCC or Delteq systems or some other high dollar options.
      Rob B 95Z A4 Tech Page (Part numbers / locations, how to's, schematics, DTC's...) Home Page - shbox.com

Comment

I thought the delteq wasn't guaranteed to work on all cars? I thought I read that it was 50/50. Works for some, doesn't work for others, regardless of how it's installed.
        97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

I have seen a couple posts on other forums that indicate there may be a few cars that were never able to get the Delteq to work satisfactorily. Delteq refunded their money. But I don't think it is anywhere near 50/50.

I think it is a bit misleading for Delteq to indicate they are coming out with a Stage II product that eliminates the Opti completely, when it has been "comnig soon" for at least 2 years.

The current alternatives:

Dynaspark - An upgraded Opti in a billet case, with supposedly improved internal parts.

MSD - An alledgedly upgraded cap/rotor (only).... has been advertised for about a year, but no one has ever seen one.

LTCC - A black box that receives the Opti optical sensor signals and drives 8 LS1-style coils in direct fire (I like this one best - its close to what I have).

Delteq - A black box that receives the Opti optical sensor signals and interfaces with a Northstar ignition driver and four Northstar "waste spark" dual-tower coils.

After market ECU's that accept the Opti signals and drive external igh voltage systems - MoTeC/IEX, FAST/e-Dist.
          Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

i fixed my opti!!!! i bought an LS1 car.. and got rid of the LT1

Comment

Well...going on 10 years...no troubles (yet) with my Opti...
              Al 96 Ram Air T/A
              Mods: Build # 784 * Hotchkis STB * SFCs * Borla cat back w/QTP cut-out * AS&M/RK Sports Mid-length headers w/single CAT * Koni SA shocks on lower perch w/ lowered rear * Strano Hollow front & rear antisway bars * 1LE front/rear springs * 1LE aluminum driveshaft * Strange 4.10 gears w/ Zexel Torsen diff. * ARP bearing cap studs & aluminum diff cover* J&M Hotpart poly/poly rear LCAs and poly/poly panhard bar * RAM Powergrip clutch w/ LT4 PP and RAM billet Al flywheel * C5 Z06 brakes * C6 Z06 wheels * Spohn T/A * Spohn DS Loop * fully custom interior w/ custom audio

Comment

While the actual execution of the Opti design was a flop, the theory is great. If you can keep it clean and dry, and use only the optical portion, you end up with extremely accurate ignition and fuel timing. The accuracy is not equaled in any other system. It could be argued that the slack in the timing chain introduces error, but GM was able to demonstrate in an SAE paper that the system reduced spark scatter, decreasing emissions, increasing fuel economy and increasing power. Unfortunately, they didn't test with the water pump weep hole dripping coolant on it......

Time to dust this picture off for the 50th or so time....

Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Working...
                X