Weight Reduction??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weight Reduction??

Anybody have any tips on weight reduction on the F-Bods?

Wondering what you guys may be doing to lower your weight.

'95 TA A4, 118000 on the clock!
    Borla, Strange 3.73's, SLP CAI, Vortech elbow,AFS Z06 Wheels,White gauges/blue backlighting,blue custom interior,MBA Shift knob,MadZ28 Tune, Intrax springs, Bilstein shocks, ES Trans Mount, Honeycomb taillights.

13.685@102.11

All you need is here!!!

Weight !!!!
    94 Z28/UltraZ Hood & Box/1 1/2 Drop/52mmTB & Bypass/160 Stat/Pulley/ Catback & pipe/Kirkey seats/5 point belts/WW Wing/Ford9"-4.11- Detroit locker-Strange axles/ZEKE'S Heads & LT4 HC/Stainless Headers & Y/1LE Panhard/BMR SFCs-STB-Relo Brackets-Tunnel Brace-Adj Tq arm- Sway bar- LCAs-PHB/ABARE RACING 4L60E/COAN 3200/Monster tach & light/DS Loop

19/09/04[M6]=12.392@113.518 / 1.802 60ft.

10/04/05[A4]=12.29@111.9 /1.652 60ft.

Comment

Holy crap that's a lot of info!!

I am removing my AC and that's one of the better weight savings I saw in there. Thanks for the link.

'95 TA A4, 118000 on the clock!
      Borla, Strange 3.73's, SLP CAI, Vortech elbow,AFS Z06 Wheels,White gauges/blue backlighting,blue custom interior,MBA Shift knob,MadZ28 Tune, Intrax springs, Bilstein shocks, ES Trans Mount, Honeycomb taillights.

13.685@102.11

Comment

Sunvisor delete mod..... 2#.... but not enought to offset the added weight of the pillar gauges. Problem with a lot of the high performance parts is that they add incredible amounts of weight. With lightweight drag wheels and tires, no A/C and a bunch of loose stuff out of the car, my Formula still weighed 3,760# with me (185#) in it. The roll bar, heavy torque arm, heavy explosion proof bell housing and other parts of that sort add a lot of weight. Even though I went with chrome moly on the roll bar to save weight (I figure its about 65# rather than 100# if mild steel).

My last round of "removals" (e.g. 50# 4" Mufflex catback) got it down to 3,635#, and that's still way too heavy. Since the last trip to the official scale, its probably down another 25#, but I've got a long way to go.

Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Yikes, Fred! You do have some heavy duty suspension and chassis parts though.

My car weighs in at around 3500 with a full tank of gas, and spare tire and jack.
          Joe K.
          '11 BMW 328i
          '10 Matrix S AWD
          Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

keep the a/c unless you love being hot and sweaty on a date --that aint a good thing ya know--litterally hundreds of ways to put it on a diet that will make up for the a/c plus more

Comment

Originally posted by 69ss540
              keep the a/c unless you love being hot and sweaty on a date --that aint a good thing ya know--litterally hundreds of ways to put it on a diet that will make up for the a/c plus more
              Agree. Unless it's badly broke or you have a bonafide race car, that weight savings won't bring you as much ET pleasure as not having the AC will cause misery on a hot, humid day, not to mention resale value. Now, if you're to the point that you're tearing out the stereo, bumper supports & door braces, and drilling out holes in stuff, paying extra for chrome moly this & that, then, by all means, you might as well yank the AC.

Comment

Working...
              X