Transmission question.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission question.

Well she turned 141k the other day. At the same time the smell of tranny oil gets worse each time she warms up. Had my Oil change today and took a closer look at it. Now transmissions are whole different animal to me so I might not get the correct terminology. Most of the red stuff seems to accumulate underneath the torque converer cover and then just skids down on my cat, thus the smell. I havn't noticed any slippage into gears. One thing i did notice that when cruising at 1500rpms going up on a incline I feel stumbling,slight vibration on keeping that rpm so i have step on it a little more then it goes away, that happens on long drives.
    I've been reading arround and from what I udnerstand I have the 4l60 hydromatic tranny. Seems theres a difference in the connector 4 or 5 pin. How much would a stock rebuild transmission cost me? Any good shops around NY, that you guys know of?
    Thanks in advance.
    1993 TA SOLD

-------------------------------------------
    "Unless It's Fatal, It's No Big Deal"

Originally posted by alenstein
    Well she turned 141k the other day. At the same time the smell of tranny oil gets worse each time she warms up. Had my Oil change today and took a closer look at it. Now transmissions are whole different animal to me so I might not get the correct terminology. Most of the red stuff seems to accumulate underneath the torque converer cover and then just skids down on my cat, thus the smell. I havn't noticed any slippage into gears. One thing i did notice that when cruising at 1500rpms going up on a incline I feel stumbling,slight vibration on keeping that rpm so i have step on it a little more then it goes away, that happens on long drives.
    I've been reading arround and from what I udnerstand I have the 4l60 hydromatic tranny. Seems theres a difference in the connector 4 or 5 pin. How much would a stock rebuild transmission cost me? Any good shops around NY, that you guys know of?
    Thanks in advance.
    Let me try and make sure I know what you are saying really quick. Your tranny fluid seems to smells worse every time you smell it. You also say that you see red stuff (tranny fluid), on the cover where your torque converter is and that is going on to your cat.

Well, you will have the smell of burning tranny fluid if any of it goes on to your exhaust....I know this from experience. Also, fluid should not be coming from there...this is indicating a leak. Have you checked your fluid level lately? Smell the dipstick also when you check...does the dipstick have a burning smell also?

I bought a tranny with a 2 year warranty last April. Less than 2 weeks ago, I was leaking fluid from the exact same place you were. I had my tranny rebuilt under warranty, and in all only had to pay $250 for removal/installation. The leak was coming from my front pump seal. This would be the most common culprit from a leak where you are describing. Other possibilities are...

1)The inner seal on the front pump seal
    2)The gasket in the front pump
    3)Your pan could be bent
    4)Cracked torque converter

My suggestion is to get some carb cleaner, and get yourself under your tranny and clean everything....get all that trans fluid off. Take off your cover that goes over your torque converter, and start her up and try and pinpoint this leak. Also, check your fluid level...you might be low if you have been leaking for a while.

A rebuilt tranny could cost $600 or so if you do the labor yourself and give them your tranny as a core deposit.

http://www.roadmastertranz.com/home.php

That's where I bought my trans from. They do ship too..so that wouldn't be a problem for you. They do offer beefed up tranny's with higher stall converters (what I got) as well. They also have phenominal customer service as well. I actually voided my warranty by servicing my transmission after a year myself (they needed a receipt from a shop to keep the warranty), but they hooked me up anyways. Top notch IMO.

Good luck
    black 95 t/a, a4, beefed up tranny w/ higher stall converter, transgo shift kit, trans temp gauge, trans cooler, richmond 3.73's, loudmouth, hypertech programmer, 160 thermo, descreened maf, TB bypass and airfoil, trick flow intake elbow, underdrive pulleys, moroso cai, edelbrock panhard rod, bmr stb, slp sfc's, fiberglass firehawk hood, hawk pads, taylor wires, ngk plugs, royal purple fluids,...and hopefully more to come

Comment

Originally posted by 95TransAm
      Let me try and make sure I know what you are saying really quick. Your tranny fluid seems to smells worse every time you smell it. You also say that you see red stuff (tranny fluid), on the cover where your torque converter is and that is going on to your cat.

Well, you will have the smell of burning tranny fluid if any of it goes on to your exhaust....I know this from experience. Also, fluid should not be coming from there...this is indicating a leak. Have you checked your fluid level lately? Smell the dipstick also when you check...does the dipstick have a burning smell also?

Good luck
      I checked the fluid level, theres more than enough, probably more than it should be. Seems like the fluid concentrates at the center of the cover, I guess it sounds just right what you said abot the seal. When hot the dip stick does have a strong odor to it. I should find more time and to the described leak check.
      1993 TA SOLD

-------------------------------------------
      "Unless It's Fatal, It's No Big Deal"

Comment

Originally posted by alenstein
        I checked the fluid level, theres more than enough, probably more than it should be. Seems like the fluid concentrates at the center of the cover, I guess it sounds just right what you said abot the seal. When hot the dip stick does have a strong odor to it. I should find more time and to the described leak check.
        Pinpointing that leak is the first thing that definitely should be done. Like I said though, make sure everything is clean...I can't stress this enough.

Once you take off your cover that's over your torque converter/flexplate, make sure all is clean there also.

If it's from anything other than your trans pan, you will notice it leaking or dripping at different places. It will be coming from above your pan also.

The reason why it concentrates at the center is simply because that cover is bowl shaped. It could be very well coming from the sides, and just slides down in to the center.
        black 95 t/a, a4, beefed up tranny w/ higher stall converter, transgo shift kit, trans temp gauge, trans cooler, richmond 3.73's, loudmouth, hypertech programmer, 160 thermo, descreened maf, TB bypass and airfoil, trick flow intake elbow, underdrive pulleys, moroso cai, edelbrock panhard rod, bmr stb, slp sfc's, fiberglass firehawk hood, hawk pads, taylor wires, ngk plugs, royal purple fluids,...and hopefully more to come

Comment

It sounds like the front main seal like he said. More then a majority of the heat made by the tranny is from the converter. Im guessing theirs a cover their and sometimes "sometimes" theirs nothing at all to remove it. I would remove it and look up in their if you could.
          http://www.yanceyauto.com/
          iv never used this place but they have some very cheap good parts
          2000 trans am auto, Afr 205,tr 220/220 112, mti lid, 160t,umi sfc,hooker headers and ory y,loud mouth. bellow,pr's,harland rockers,new lifters,ls6 oilpump,rollermaster doubler roller, msd wires.

Comment

I agree, sounds like a front main seal. 4 hours of work for a 2 dollar seal, funny huh? The chance that it is a cracked converter is reallllly slim, unless some major hp is being pushed, and even then, it would baloon long before it broke (major imballance, very noticible) A new trans would be a good option, while you are in there, but that isnt always finanancially possible. I got lucky and scored a 3000 mile transmission off of a fresh rebuild 700 R4 with corvette internals and servo, bored valve body etc. for the old s10.

Comment

Working...
            X